Moderate Sedation Training - Medical Staff Services
The Medical Center’s online Adult Procedural Sedation Course is available to all Medical Center staff (nursing and LIPs) requiring initial and ongoing training in moderate sedation through the online UMMS U Learning Center. This applies to all Attendings, Advanced Practice Nurses and Physician Assistants who request/are approved for Moderate Sedation Privileges. (NOTE: Attendings who are board certified in Anesthesiology, Critical Care Medicine, Emergency Medicine, Neonatology and Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery are not required to take this course.)
For UMMC-hired Licensed Independent Practitioners (such as Nurse Practitioner, Nurse Midwife or Physician Assistant), you will have a user ID and password in UMMS U and can access it through HR Connections or the link on the Intranet home page. You can also access it at home by using this link: https://umms.csod.com.
If you are an Attending, CRNP, Midwife or Physician Assistant who is not a UMMC Employee, please contact Allison Andrus at email@example.com to request course access/ login information.
The course is designed for physicians/dentists, advanced practice nurses, and physician assistants who are not anesthesiologists or anesthetists, who manage patients receiving moderate sedation. In these settings, these clinicians assume the role of the anesthesia provider by providing pre-sedation assessment, formulation (LIPs) or review (nurses) of the sedation prescription, intra-procedure sedation monitoring, and monitoring during recovery from sedation. Carrying out these practices requires training beyond what most clinicians get in their basic educational programs.
The online course is broken into three parts and each part requires about 15 to 20 minutes each to complete. The entire course can be completed in about 50 to 60 minutes and ends with a comprehensive test.
The course objectives are designed to enable the participant to:
- Prepare patients for sedation, including performing a pre-sedation assessment, acquiring consent, and developing an individualized plan for sedation;
- Perform procedural sedation safely and effectively adhering to regulatory guidelines
- Plan for and address special patients’ needs and appropriately respond to emergency situations;
- Monitor patients during post-sedation recovery to ensure safe emergence from sedation, and
- Discharge patients appropriately after recovery.
Moderate Sedation Education and Competency Assessment
Our hospital policy (COP-015) on moderate sedation requires Licensed Independent Practitioners* to:
- Complete an age-appropriate educational seminar on the critical elements of Moderate Sedation provided by the University of Maryland Department of Anesthesiology - this online course is this seminar for LIPs who practice with adult patients.
LIPs who practice with Pediatric patients should view the Pediatric Moderate Sedation Course now available as a link on our website: https://www.umms.org/ummc/healthcare-professionals/medical-staff-services/moderate-sedation-training/pediatric
- Maintain a BLS card, and
- Successful completion of simulation for airway management in the MASTRI Center (and subsequently every 2 years)
OR Current ACLS Certification.
*does not apply to Physicians/Dentists board certified in Anesthesiology, Critical Care, Neonatology, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery, and Emergency Medicine, or Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists.
The MASTRI Center is located on the 7th floor of the South Hospital, in the B Wing. Day and evening appointments will be made available. Registration must be completed via the website: http://mastri.umm.edu/testing/ , where you will select the “Airway Management Skills Testing” button.
Please note the following:
- Completion of the Adult Sedation Course via UMMS U must be done prior to registration for airway management skills testing. A copy of your certificate must be brought with you to your appointment.
- Online registration requires 48 hours advance notice.
- Remember to bring your current BLS card.
- Testing is only available to Attendings/LIPs credentialed/employed by the University of Maryland School of Medicine or University of Maryland Medical Center.
The policy stipulates assurance of on-going moderate sedation competency for LIPs requiring bi-annual completion of the online moderate sedation module, maintenance of BLS Healthcare Provider status, and successful completion of simulation in the MASTRI Center or Current ACLS Certification.
Directions for UMMS U after logging in:
Once logged in, click on the Search Box in the upper right corner.
In the Search box, type “Adult Procedural Sedation” and Enter
Select “Adult Procedural Sedation”
Click on “Request”, then click on “Open Curriculum” and begin the modules, starting with Adult Procedural Sedation 1.
When you have completed all 3 modules and passed the exam, please print your certification, include with application or email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to Medical Staff Services at (410) 328-6433.