Current Vascular Surgery Fellows
George Makkar, MD
Medical School: Howard University College of Medicine
Residency: University of Maryland Medical Center - General Surgery
- Yu, D., Makkar, G., Sarkar, R., Strickland, D. K., Monahan, T. S. Murine Aortic Crush Injury - an Efficient In Vivo Model of Smooth Muscle Cell Proliferation and Endothelial Function. J. Vis. Exp. (), e55201, doi:10.3791/55201 (2017).
- Yu D, Makkar G, Strickland D, Sarkar R, Monahan T. MARCKS Regulates Small GTPase Rac1/Cdc42 Activity and is a Critical Mediator of Smooth Muscle Cell Migration in Intimal Hyperplasia Formation. Journal of the American Heart Association.. 2015 Oct 8; 4(10).
- Yu D, Makkar G, Dong T, Strickland D, Sarkar R, Monahan T. MARCKS Signaling Differentially Regulates Vascular Smooth Muscle and Endothelial Cell Proliferation through a KIS-, p27kip1- Dependent Mechanism. PLoS One. 2015 Nov 3; 10(11).
J. Devin Watson, MD
Medical School: George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences
Residency: San Antonio Military Medical Center - General Surgery
- Glasgow SC, Heafner TA, Watson JD, Aden JK, Perry WB. Initial management and outcome of modern battlefield anal trauma. Diseases of the Colon and Rectum. 2014, Aug; 57(8): 1012-1018.
- Morrison JJ, Ross JD, Houston R, Watson JDB, Sokol KK, Rasmussen TE.. Use of resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta in a highly lethal model of noncompressible torso hemorrhage. Shock. 2014, Feb; 41(2): 130-137.
- Scott DJ, Watson JD, Heafner TA, Clemens MS, Propper BW, Arthurs ZM. Validation of the Short Musculoskeletal Function Assessment in patients with battlefield-related extremity vascular injuries. Journal of Vascular Surgery. 2014, Sep
- Watson JD, Gifford SM, Clouse WD. Biochemical markers of acute limb ischemia, rhabdomyolysis, and impact on limb salvage. Semin Vasc Surg. 2014 Dec;27(3-4):176-81. PMID:26073828
- Clemens MS, Scott DJ, Watson JD, Wang LC, Hislop SJ, Arthurs ZM. A diagnostic evolution: surgical experience with popliteal artery entrapment syndrome at a military tertiary referral center. Ann Vasc Surg. 2015 Aug; 29(6):1078-83. PMID: 2600954
- Stull MC, Clemens MS, Heafner TA, Watson JD, Arthurs ZM, Propper BW. Prosthetic Graft Patency in the Setting of a Polymicrobial Infection in Swine. Ann Vasc Surg. 2016 Oct; 36:265-272. PMID:27423719
- Clemens MS, Stull MC, Hata KW, Heafner TA, Watson JD, Arthurs ZM, Propper BW. Antimicrobial-bonded graft patency in the setting of a polymicrobial infection in swine (Sus scrofa). J Vasc Surg. 2016 Dec 14;16:31288-5 PMID 27988159
- Clemens MS, Heafner TA, Watson JD, Aden JK 3rd, Rasmussen TE, Glasgow SC. Quality of Life in United States Veterans With Combat-Related Ostomies From Iraq and Afghanistan. Mil Med. 2016 Nov;181(11):e1569-e1574. PMID: 27849491
- Watson, JD, Grasu, B, Menon, R, Pensy, R, Crawford, RS, Shin, T. Novel, non-gadolinium-enhanced magnetic resonance imaging technique of pedal artery aneurysms. JVS-CIT. 2017 Jun; 3:87-89
- Watson, JDB, et al. Management of Chronic Massive Traumatic Popliteal Artery Aneurysm: A Case Series With Evolution of Treatment. Vascular Annual Meeting Poster Presentation, 6/1/17
- Watson, JDB. Atraumatic Axillary Graft Fracture. University of Maryland Vascular Symposium May 2017
Christopher Werter, MD
Medical School: Albany Medical College
Residency: Albany Medical Center - General Surgery
- Abraham CR, Werter CR, Ata A, Hazimeh Y, Shah U, Bhakta A, Tafen M, Singh P, Beyer T, Stain S. PREDICTORS OF HOSPITAL READMISSION FOLLOWING BARIATRIC SURGERY. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2014, Nov
Vladimir Coca Soliz, MD
Medical School: Universidad Privada del Valle Facultad de Ciencias de la Salud
Residency: Saint Mary’s Hospital – General Surgery
- Rednam CK, Wilson RL, Selvaraju V, Rishi MT, Thirunavukkarasu M, Coca-Soliz V, Lakshmanan R, Palesty JA, McFadden DW, Maulik N. Increased survivability of ischemic skin flap tissue in Flk-1+/- mice by Pellino-1 intervention. Microcirculation. 2017 Aug;24(6). doi: 10.1111/micc.12362.
- Mahesh Thirunavukkarasu, Babatunde Oriowo, Vaithinathan Selvaraju, Mandip Joshi, Leonidas Tapias, Vladimir Coca-Soliz, Ibnalwalid Saad, Juan A Sanchez, J.Alexander Palestey, Siu-Pok Yee, Nilanjana Maulik Pellino1 is Required to Preserve Myocardial Function and Promote Neovascularization in the Infarcted Myocardium Circulation. 2016;134:A15101
- Ibnalwalid Saad, MD, MRCS, Thirunavukkarasu Mahesh, PhD, Vladimir Coca-Soliz, MD, Vaithinathan Selvaraju, PhD, J. Alexander Palesty, MD, FACS, Nilanjana Maulik, PhD Pellino1, A Novel Molecule in the Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor (VEGF) Signaling Pathway, Rescues Left Ventricular Function and Angiogenesis after Myocardial Infarction in Flk-1+/- Mice, FAHA Article in Journal of the American College of Surgeons 221(4):S25; October 2015 DOI: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2015.07.046
- Coca-Soliz V, Friedrich A, Corvo P. How the Military is Changing Civilian Medicine. Conn Med. 2015 Sep;79(8):498-9.
- Vladimir Coca-Soliz, Leonidas Tapias, Vaithinathan Selvaraju, Mahesh Thirunavukkarasu, J.Alexander Palesty, and Nilanjana Maulik. Intramyocardial Gene Therapy With a Novel Angiogenic Molecule, Pellino-1 Preserves Functions and Increases Cell Survivability in a Mouse Myocardial Infarction Model Circulation. 2014;130:A15486.
- Comparison of Laparoscopic versus DaVinci Robot on surgical site infections based on operation time and operator volume Vladimir Coca-Soliz, MD, Rose C Gooding, BS, Philip R Corvo, MD, MA SAGES (Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons) 2017
- Impact of compromised pulmonary function on 30-day outcomes after breast cancer resection.
Ann-Kristin U. Friedrich MD, Kevin P. Baratta MD, Vladimir Coca-Soliz MD, J. Alexander Palesty MD FACS, Beth A. Sieling MD FACS ASBrS (The American Society of Breast Surgeons) 18th Annual Meeting Poster 2017
Rafael Santini Dominguez, MD
Medical School: Universidad Central del Caribe School of Medicine
Residency: Hospital Episcopal San Lucas/Ponce School of Medicine
- Rafael Santini MD, Waika Velez MD, Jorge Martinez-Trabal MD. Effectively Reducing Recurrence of Venous Ulcerations with Radiofrequency Ablation of the Greater Saphenous Vein (GSV) in Patients with a CEAP class 5. Journal of the American College of Surgeons, Volume 219 , Issue 4 , 198 (2014)
- Rafael Santini MD, Jonathan Ramirez-Vazquez MD, Sigfredo Villarin-Ayala MS, Ivan Iriarte MD, Jorge L. Martinez-Trabal, MD.Endovascular Revascularization Superior to Major Amputation in Non-ambulatory Patients with Ulceration and Gangrene. Journal of Vascular Surgery, Volume 63 , Issue 6 , 17. (2016)
Gregory Steiner, MD
Medical School: West Virginia University School of Medicine
Residency: Medstar Union Memorial Hospital – General Surgery
- Srikant Sivaraman MD, Donald Harris MD, Gregory Steiner MD, Michael Magarakis MD, Rajabrata Sarkar MD, Robert Crawford MD, Shahab Toursavadkohi MD Application of hybrid vascular graft for rapid endoluminal branch anastamoses during open aortic reconstruction.
- Santos RS, Gupta A, Steiner G, DeSimone M, Estrada MJ, Daly B, Fernando HC. Electromagnetic navigation to aid radiofrequency ablation and biopsy of lung tumors. Ann Thorac Surg. 2010 Jan; 89(1): 265-8.
- Pennathur A, McGrath K, Steiner G, Luketich J Polyflex Expandable Stents in the Treatment of Esophageal Disease: Initial Experience. Annals of Thoracic Surgery. 2008 Jun;85(6):1968-72.