Success of Internal Medicine Residency Graduates
What do your residents do after completing residency training?
In the past 5 years, we graduated nearly 200 residents in our categorical, Med-Peds and EMIM tracks. Of these residents, 60-70% are doing fellowships, 20% have chosen careers in primary care, and 10-20% have secured positions as hospitalists. These numbers are fairly consistent since 2002. Of those entering primary care or hospital medicine, many stay in the Baltimore area with many hospitalists staying at the University of Maryland. Some return home and set up a practice in other parts of the country.
How successful are your residents at securing fellowship positions?
Our residents have been VERY successful in their pursuit of subspecialty training, securing positions at some of the best fellowship programs in the country. You can find a list of where each graduating class matched on Our Residents page. The following data is from our 2008-2018 graduates. The next fellowship Match will take place in December.
- Allergy-Immunology: Stanford, Hopkins, NIH
- Cardiology: Maryland, Hopkins, Colorado, Emory, UNC, Jefferson, BCH/Harvard, VCU, UTSW, Pittsburgh, U Wash, Georgetown, GW, Penn State, Rochester, Tufts, MUSC, Cooper
- Critical Care: Maryland , NIH, Stanford, Ohio State
- Endocrinology: Maryland, Hopkins, NIH, U Chicago, UNC, U Virginia
- Gastroenterology: Maryland, NIH, Yale, U Florida (Research pathway), U Miami, U Cincinnati, Temple, Penn State, MUSC, Loyola
- General Internal Medicine - academic: Maryland, Hopkins
- Geriatrics: Hopkins, Mt. Sinai (NYC)
- Hematology-Oncology: Maryland, Duke, Hopkins, Columbia, MD Anderson, Moffitt (U South Florida), Fox Chase (Temple), Pittsburgh, Northwestern, U Michigan, UT-Southwestern, Einstein, OHSU
- Infectious Diseases: Maryland, Baylor, Cleveland Clinic, Hopkins, NIH, Emory, UCSD, Washington Univ, Baylor (MD Anderson), Mt. Sinai, GW, VCU, Rush, U Minnesota
- Nephrology: Maryland, Duke, Pittsburgh, Tufts, UC-San Diego
- Pulmonary-Critical Care: Maryland, Columbia, Hopkins, Harvard Brigham & Women’s, U Penn, Einstein, Pittsburgh, U Virginia, NIH, Jefferson, UCSD, UCLA, Oregon Health Sciences, VCU
- Rheumatology: Maryland, Duke, Hopkins, Pittsburgh, UCSD, UCLA, Pittsburgh