GME Events and Announcements
IHI Open School Training Requirements
The Graduate Medical Education Committee approved the training requirements for all NEW residents and NEW fellows for the 2018-2019 academic year. This training is required and is intended to supplement your current or planned specialty/subspecialty Patient Safety and Quality Improvement activities. This applies only to your NEW residents and NEW fellows joining UMMC.
Please note that there is only one deadline this year for all courses to be completed as follows:
All new residents/fellows must complete the following courses/lessons by September 1, 2018
The courses/lessons are:
- PS101: Introduction to Patient Safety (3 lessons included in the course)
- PS102: From Error to Harm (3 lessons included in the course)
- PS103: Human Factors and Safety (3 lessons included in the course)
- PS104: Teamwork and Communication in a Culture of Safety(3 lessons included in the course)
- QI101: Introduction to Healthcare Improvement (3 lessons included in the course)
- QI102: How to Improve with the Model for Improvement (5 lessons included in the course)
- QI103 Testing and Measuring Changes with the PSDA Cycles(3 lessons included in the course)
- QI104: Interpreting Data, Run Charts, Control Charts and Other Measurement Tools (3 lessons included in the course)
Each program is responsible for collecting the documentation and verifying completion of the courses/lessons by the required deadline. DO NOT send the certificates to the GME office. If your residents and fellows completed these courses/lessons previously, either at UMMC or another institution, they should print out the summary of their transcripts as evidence of compliance of the required training.. We also recommend and request that any resident or fellow who has completed courses/lessons in the IHI Open School training assure that their affiliation is updated to reflect the University of Maryland Medical Center GME. This will assure training assignments for future academic years are appropriately associated with our institution for any ad hoc reporting that may be done at an institutional level.