Stork's Nest Program
The Stork's Nest at the University of Maryland Medical Center is a perinatal education, point-based incentive program taught by registered nurses to promote healthy pregnancies.
The University of Maryland Medical Center partnered with the March of Dimes (Maryland Chapter) and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority (Alpha Zeta Chapter) to help women have a healthy pregnancy and give their baby a healthy beginning.
How to Participate
To join, you must receive prenatal care at one of the University of Maryland Medical Center’s practices and plan to deliver at the University of Maryland Medical Center. You will earn points by attending Stork’s Nest educational classes, going to your regular prenatal care appointments and adopting healthy behaviors.
After your baby is born you can continue to earn points by taking your baby to well-baby check-ups and making sure your child receives all of his/her immunizations on time. You will be able to earn points until your baby’s first birthday.
You can use your points to shop at the Stork’s Nest store located at University Care at Edmondson Village.
When women make the commitment to their baby by joining Stork’s Nest they are taking the first step in ensuring a healthy pregnancy and a healthy baby.
- Decrease the number of babies born prematurely (less than 37 weeks)
- Decrease the number of low birth weight babies born (less than 2500 gm or 5lbs. 8 oz.)
- Decrease infant deaths by promoting safe sleep practices and car seat safety
- Increase breastfeeding rates
The March of Dimes (Maryland Chapter) and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority (Alpha Zeta Chapter), in partnership with UMMC, is striving to help women have a healthy pregnancy and give their baby a healthy beginning by:
- Empowering women to make smart healthcare choices
- Offering incentives for attending prenatal health care visits
- Offering free prenatal classes to educate women about having a healthy pregnancy and birth experience, along with teaching the basics of infant care and breastfeeding
- Providing access to experienced health educators and trained nurses for support while being pregnant
- Assisting in getting free baby items
- Providing information and referrals to community resources
How Can I Help?
Stork's Nest relies on the generosity of community members to keep the Nest stocked with infant care items and breastfeeding supplies for participants.
- To donate new items, please call 410-328-4868 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- To make a monetary donation, you can use the UMMS Foundation's secure site for your donation. Make sure to select Stork's Nest when choosing your desired fund.
University Care at Edmondson Village
4538 Edmondson Avenue, Baltimore, MD 21229
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority (Alpha Zeta Chapter)