Weight Loss Surgery Support Group
For more information about our support group, call us at 410-328-8940.
One of our registered dietitians hosts our free support group each month. Specifically designed for our postoperative patients, our group is a safe place to share feelings, find motivation and support and start building a new life.
Studies show that support groups like ours can increase the chances of short-term and long-term success for our patients after bariatric surgery. We welcome significant others to attend with our patients, as part of their support system.
Each support group meeting includes:
- A presentation by our registered dietitian
- Discussion among members about that month’s topic and nutrition
- An “Ask the Doctor” segment and speakers, when other weight loss health professionals attend (not every meeting)
- Time for questions from patients at the beginning of their weight loss surgery journey
- Social interaction
Benefits of Joining Our Weight Loss Support GroupToggle accordion item
Members of our postop weight loss support group can build a community of friends among people who really understand what they’re going through. Surrounded by people who support their goals, our members:
- Consider issues about obesity as a disease
- Discuss personal or professional issues that arise after bariatric surgery
- Receive the latest weight loss information
After their weight loss surgery, our patients are learning a new way of life and how to make sense of the role that food plays in their lives. Our support group focuses on:
- Developing new eating and drinking behaviors
- Learning a new relationship with food
- Managing nutritional and physical health, as well as emotional, mental, psychological and spiritual well-being
Online Support Group (Coming Soon!)Toggle accordion item
First Wednesday night of the month at 7:30-8:30 p.m.
Support for all our weight loss patients.
No appetite, cravings returning, honeymoon period over? You don’t have to be alone. Join with an experienced facilitator and other patients who understand what you are going through.
You will not be on camera, so no need to be concerned about how you appear.
For more information, call 410-328-8940.
Our Facebook Group for Post-op Weight Loss PatientsToggle accordion item
Connect with others like you online through our Facebook group for the UMMC Bariatric Surgery Postoperative Community. This is a closed group, available by invitation only to our postoperative patients. It provides an intimate and supportive environment for sharing information and experiences.