Weight Loss Seminar
The University of Maryland (UM) Center for Weight Management and Wellness offers a comprehensive surgical and medical approach to weight loss. In our free educational seminars, you’ll learn more about how we can help you with weight loss.
Bariatric (weight loss) surgery helps adults from ages 18 to 70 who cannot lose a large amount of weight and maintain the loss through diet, exercise and other lifestyle changes.
Step 1: Our Free Seminars About Medical Weight Loss
In our educational seminars, our bariatric surgeon covers everything you need to know about weight loss surgery, including gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy. Topics include:
- Health insurance requirements
- Nutrition and exercise
- Our weight loss program, including medical nutrition therapy and surgery
- Reasons to consider bariatric surgery
- Types of bariatric surgery and the risks and benefits of each
- Your follow-up care after surgery
Attend a Weight Loss Seminar In Person
Our seminars are from 6 to 8 p.m. and led by Dr. Kligman. The dates and locations for our 2017 seminars are listed below.
To attend an in-person seminar:
- Find a date and location, and reserve your space now through our registration form.
- Download, print and fill out our health questionnaire. You’ll need to bring it with you to the seminar you’re attending.
If you prefer to watch a seminar from home before attending in person, you can register to watch our weight loss seminar here.
Step 2: Schedule a Consultation with Our Weight Loss Surgeons
You’ve decided to have bariatric surgery after attending one of our seminars. Your next step is to schedule a consultation our bariatric surgeon, Mark Kligman. Call us at 1-800-492-5538 to make an appointment.
If your primary care physician is referring you to us for bariatric surgery, your health insurance plan may require you to have a referral form. Ask your physician to provide you with a completed and signed referral form, and bring it with you to your appointment with us.