Day of the Lung Transplant
When a compatible organ becomes available, here’s what you can expect. We will:
- Contact you immediately to come to the hospital and be admitted.
- Take a medical history of any events which may have occurred since your initial transplant evaluation and perform pre-surgical testing.
- Ensure that the donor lung is in good condition and ready for you.
- Place you under anesthesia. We may also place you on heart-lung bypass if we determine you will need help with blood circulation during the procedure.
- Remove the old lung and stitch the new on in place. We sew together the ends of the airway and the main blood vessels.
- Ensure that your new lung is working well before finishing the procedure.
To speak with a lung transplant specialist, please call 410-328-2864.