Day of the Heart Transplant
A compatible heart becomes available. What happens now? We will:
- Contact you and admit you to the hospital.
- Take a medical history of events that may have occurred since your initial evaluation and order appropriate pre-surgical testing.
- Travel to the hospital where the donor is located, to remove the heart from the donor and “put it to sleep” so that we preserve its function.
- Wrap the heart in sterile plastic bags inside a picnic cooler (yes, really!) and bring it to our Heart Center for implantation.
- Prepare you for your new heart. The donor and recipient surgical teams work carefully to minimize the amount of time that the new heart is “asleep.”
- Begin the operation. We make an incision in your chest and put you on heart-lung bypass.
- Remove the old heart and stitch the new one into place by sewing together the main heart vessels.
To speak with a heart transplant specialist, please call 410-328-2864.