Transplant Pharmacy Services
A vital and important component of post transplant care is the management of the many and complex medications that all transplant patients must take. The University of Maryland Medical Center recognizes these new challenges and provides transplant pharmacy clinical services to assist in the medication management process. At UMMC, pharmacists have been directly involved in the care of transplant patients since 1992. The goal of the pharmacists is to help patients and families understand the importance of their medications and to address concerns with or questions about their new medication regimens.
Using the Pharmacy After Being Discharged from the Hospital
Even after patients are discharged from the hospital, they are encouraged to use the University of Maryland Transplant Pharmacy Services for the following reasons:
- Medications are delivered directly to patients' homes.
- Prescriptions are prepared by experts in transplant medications.
- Discounts are available on post-transplant medications.
Using the Pharmacy While in the Hospital
While in the hospital, the pharmacy department assists patients in the following ways:
- Participating as a part of multi-disciplinary team by attending daily in-patient care rounds.
- Providing information on the purpose, dosage, and potential side effects of medications.
- Reviewing complex medication profiles for potential drug interactions.
- Preventing, detecting, and monitoring adverse drug reactions and medications errors.
- Working with the physician in adjusting the dosage of medications depending on kidney or liver function.
- Helping to design, implement, and individualize drug regimens and therapeutic plans.
- Working with patients on home monitoring of blood pressure and diabetes.
- Facilitating discharge planning and a smooth transition to an alternate site of care or the outpatient pharmacy.
- Counseling on discharge medications.
- Providing education for transplantation related studies to nurses and pharmacy staff.
- Coordinating the pharmaceutical care of ongoing research in transplantation.
The Transplant Pharmacy can be reached at 443-682-6570.