Call for appointment:410-328-5408 410-328-5408
The University of Maryland Medical Center (UMMC) is the state’s largest kidney transplant center. Our transplant team has performed more than 6,000 kidney transplants since 1988. Our extensive experience in kidney transplants and dialysis access procedures gives us valued experience in treating kidney disease.
Kidney disease is a process, though kidney failure can happen suddenly or gradually. But with the right kidney care, you can manage your health and continue living a full life.
Whether you are ready for dialysis, transplant or both, we will work closely with you to achieve the best outcomes for you and your family.
Why Choose UMMC
Patients and their families choose UMMC because of:
- Good outcomes, even for the sickest patients - We work with many high-risk patients who have been turned down at other centers.
- Robust expertise in dialysis access - Our surgeons create dialysis access for hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis.
- Living donor transplant - Among the top 10 living donor transplant programs in the United States, our program offers living donor transplant for adult and pediatric patients. We also offer a simultaneous tummy tuck procedure for qualifying patients.
- Polycystic kidney disease (PKD) treatment - In patients with polycystic kidney disease, we can remove both failing kidneys and implant a donor kidney during one surgical procedure. Many programs require two separate surgeries.
- National Kidney Registry - Our participation in the National Kidney Registry gives us greater flexibility in finding suitable donor-recipient pairs for kidney exchange.
- Transplant for HIV-positive and hepatitis C-positive patients - We can transplant many patients who are positive for hepatitis C or HIV. Learn more about advances in hepatitis C treatment.
- Early access to new treatments: Because we are an academic medical center, you have access to the latest kidney care advancements as soon as they are available. Learn more about our research and clinical trials.
Kidney Transplant Options
Learn more about our kidney transplant options:
- Innovative kidney transplant treatments
- Adult kidney transplant
- Living donor kidney transplant
- Dialysis access
- Pediatric transplant
Specialized Skill in Treating Kidney Disease
Our experts in kidney disease, dialysis and kidney surgery work closely together to manage your care, whether you require transplant, dialysis or other treatment.
Our team includes:
- Surgeons with specialized expertise in kidney surgery, including dialysis access
- Specialized transplant nephrologists (kidney specialists) who manage patients’ kidney failure before transplantation
- Nurse coordinators, trained specifically in transplant care, who will be your point of contact throughout your care at UMMC and after your transplant
- A dedicated dialysis access clinic to provide personalized dialysis treatment and recommendations
- Recognized transplant immunologists (physicians and researchers who specialize in the immune system) developing new ways to reduce the risk of organ rejection
- Social workers, pharmacists and nutritionists to help you and your family understand the care you need before and after transplant
Pre-Transplant Evaluation and Dialysis Close to Home
We see patients at the University of Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore and partner with community hospitals to bring specialized kidney care to patients throughout the region.
This means many patients can receive pre-transplant care at practice locations convenient to them, rather than traveling to Baltimore. Occasionally, our team travels to other dialysis units in neighboring states for the convenience and well-being of our patients.
The specific transplant services available at each location include:
- University of Maryland Shore Medical Center at Easton provides pre-transplant care for patients awaiting kidney transplant.
- University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Medical Center in Bel Air offers evaluation for kidney transplant and pancreas transplant.
- University of Maryland Charles Regional Medical Center in La Plata offers evaluation for kidney transplant and pancreas transplant.
If you are interested in becoming a living kidney donor, please download our questionnaire.
For referring physicians
To refer a patient or get more information, please call 1-800-373-4111. A physician service representative from Consultation and Referral Services will direct your call to the appropriate physician or department.
For more details, please visit our section for referring physicians.