Call for patient information:410-328-6110 410-328-6110
Shock Trauma's Orthopaedic Trauma Service provides expert care for patients with severe musculoskeletal injuries and related complications. The service is a regional resource for physicians challenged by complex orthopedic cases. In academic year 2014, the Orthopaedic Trauma Service treated or provided consultation for more than 1600 of the approximately 6000 patients admitted to Shock Trauma. Meet the Orthopaedic Traumatology Team.
Patients with the following acute and chronic conditions may benefit from referral to Shock Trauma's Orthopaedic Trauma Service:
- Difficult fractures of the upper and lower extremities, including open and complex periarticular injuries
- Complex fractures in the joints (periarticular injuries)
- Severe open fractures
- Patients with multiple injuries
- Pelvic and acetabular (hip) fractures
- Geriatric fractures
- Extremity injuries requiring hyperbaric oxygen
Complications or Chronic Conditions
- Non-unions (fractures that did not heal)
- Mal-unions (fractures that healed in poor position)
- Infections and osteomyelitis (bone infection)
- Arthritis after fracture
Patients requiring post-acute services can be followed by referring physicians, Shock Trauma faculty, or other specialists in the University Rehabilitation Network.
Orthopaedic Trauma Fellowships
Offering one of the nation's premiere fellowships in orthopedic trauma, Shock Trauma is the principal training site for orthopedic trauma for a number of civilian and military orthopedic surgery residency programs including: The University of Maryland, Columbia University, Mayo Clinic, The Union Memorial Hospital, The Walter Reed Army Medical Center, Bethesda Naval Medical Center, Tripler Medical Center, Jefferson, and Lennox Hill.
Specialists at the R Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center are available for consultation and patient referral 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Ambulatory patients are evaluated in Shock Trauma's Outpatient Clinic on a scheduled basis. Please call University OneCall/Maryland ExpressCare at 410-328-1234 for easy access and no-hassle service.