Call for appointment:410-448-6400 410-448-6400
Surgeons at the RA Cowley Shock Trauma Center and University of Maryland Medical Center are international leaders in the care of orthopedic trauma.
Renowned for treating the most complex fractures, our board-certified team of specialists see patients experiencing a host of problems following traumatic injuries to the arms, legs, hands, feet and pelvis.
For these patients, who need specialized orthopedic care, they offer:
- Outpatient evaluation and care
- Second opinions
- Corrective surgery
Caring for the Complex Fracture
Orthopedic trauma injuries require specialized care. Unfortunately, post-surgical infection, improper bone healing, deformity or soft tissue problems, arthritis and other problems are common after fracture, even with excellent initial care.
Once these problems develop, patients need a team of experts specialized in dealing with these complex issues.
Our physicians are highly experienced in caring for post-surgical issues that can develop months or years down the road from the time of the original injury.
Conditions evaluated within the University of Maryland Outpatient Orthopaedic Trauma Program include:
- Fractures that did not heal (non-unions)
- Fractures that healed in poor position (mal-unions)
- Fractures that healed with the limb short (limb length discrepancy)
- Post-surgical infections and bone infections (osteomyelitis)
- Chronic pain after a fracture — something that can have many causes
- Arthritis after a fracture — a common occurrence, which could require surgery to relieve pain
Orthopedic Trauma Team
Our orthopedic trauma surgeons of the Outpatient Orthopaedic Trauma Program are global leaders in the research and development of cutting-edge treatment strategies and techniques to restore function and mobility after a traumatic injury.
Our team of orthopedic trauma experts includes:
- Orthopedic trauma surgeons with expertise in complex issues after fractures
- Complex joint replacement surgeons, who specialize in trauma-related issues
- Upper extremity orthopedic trauma surgeons
- Infectious disease specialists
- Plastics and soft tissue reconstruction surgeons
- Physical and occupational therapists
Appointments are available within one week, and sooner for urgent cases. Call 410-448-6400 to schedule. No referral is needed.
Shock Trauma Outpatient Pavilion at UMMC
23 Penn Street, Room TGR 100
Baltimore, MD 21201
University of Maryland Orthopaedics at Camden Yards
351 West Camden Street, Suite 501
Baltimore, MD 21201
Referrals and Physician Services
In addition to providing direct patient care, our orthopedic trauma surgeons offer second opinions and senior-level consultation to external physicians for complex cases.
To schedule a Grand Rounds presentation or meet and greet with our team, please contact Diane Fisher, physician outreach manager, at email@example.com.