Totally Endoscopic Coronary Artery Bypass (TECAB)
Call for appointment:410-328-5842 410-328-5842
Totally endoscopic coronary artery bypass (TECAB) is the least invasive coronary artery bypass grafting procedure available. During TECAB, we do not need to open your chest at all. Instead, we perform the operation through tiny portholes. This leads to minimal scarring and a shorter, more comfortable recovery.
Our heart specialists use the most advanced technology, including surgical robots, to offer you the most effective, least invasive procedure possible.
During a TECAB procedure, we place the bypass graft through tiny holes in your chest, without the need to make an incision in your chest. This is an even less invasive procedure than the MIDCAB, a minimally invasive surgery that requires small incisions in your chest. Learn more about the MIDCAB procedure.
During TECAB, we use robotic instruments to ensure the effectiveness of the procedure. The robotic arms contain a video camera as well as surgical instruments for use during the procedure.
Robot-assisted minimally invasive surgery provides all the benefits of traditional minimally invasive or laparoscopic surgery, but with important improvements, including:
- Advanced optics that provide 10-times magnified, 3-D images of the surgical area.
- Robotic arms that eliminate even the slightest human hand tremors, allowing for very precise surgical work.
- Instruments with "wrists" that pivot 540 degrees, for greater dexterity than is possible with human hands or laparoscopic instruments.
What to Expect: TECAB
Here’s what you can expect during a TECAB procedure. Your surgeon will:
- Make a small incision in your groin to connect the heart-lung machine. This machine takes over the blood circulation so we can safely stop your heart for the bypass graft connection.
- Perform the bypass, working on vessels that are approximately two to three millimeters in diameter. The heart-lung machine and the robotic system ensure we can suture (stitch) the grafts precisely.
- Remove the heart-lung machine.
- Check the quality of the grafts by using an angiographic exam while you are still under anesthesia.
One of the major advantages of this minimally invasive procedure is that it eliminates the need for a large incision in your breastbone. This leads to less pain and scarring. Other potential patient benefits include:
- Less need for pain medication
- Shorter hospital stay
- Quicker recovery and return to normal activities, even light sports, within two to three weeks after the intervention
- Less bleeding and need for blood transfusions
- Lower risk of infection
- Longer-lasting: The bypass grafts can stay open and supply the heart with blood for a long time. Durability rates are in the 20- to 30-year range and are the best option for a patient with coronary artery disease.
- No foreign material is implanted
- No blood-thinning medication required, except for aspirin, which all patients with coronary artery disease must take
Read more about our expertise with heart bypass surgery.
After Your TECAB Procedure
After the operation, we will transport you to an intensive care unit for postoperative observation.
- You will need to be on a ventilator for several hours.
- The doctors will monitor you carefully to make sure your heart is functioning well.
- Soon after the procedure, you can drink, eat and walk around.
- We will discharge you approximately four to five days after the operation.