From preventing illness, to smart snacking to winter weather safety and more, Dr. Michelle Fuselier, Clinical Assistant Professor of Family and Community Medicine, provides six tips for how you can stay healthy during the colder months.
1. Get Your Flu Shot. Flu is the #1 illness treated at University of Maryland Faculty Physicians, Inc. Immediate Care in Columbia during the winter months. Fever, body aches, work days missed and more can all be avoided by getting the flu vaccine.
2. Make Healthy Choices. Don't let the cold keep you from staying active and eating a well-balanced diet. "Pace yourself, limit daily snacking, set boundaries, and add 30 minutes of cardio to your day 3-4 times per week," Dr. Fuselier suggests.
3. When You Do Snack, Snack Smart! "One of my favorite healthy snacks is steamed edamame," says Dr. Fuselier. "One-half cup equals 100 calories, 8 grams of fiber and is a great source for folate, vitamin K and iron."
4. Be Prepared for the Unexpected. Keep Gatorade, nuts, an extra blanket, a jacket, gloves and a flashlight in your car. Also, have a fully charged portable cell phone charger in case you're stranded during inclement weather.
5. Monitor Your Body. Shoveling snow, slipping on ice – winter weather brings a greater possibility of personal injury. "Seek medical attention after loss of consciousness, double or blurry vision, headache, chest pain, shortness of breath, numbness or tingling," Dr. Fuselier says.
6. Care for Your Skin. Skin is the human body's largest organ, so it's important to take care of it year round, and particularly during winter months. Dr. Fuselier recommends using a daily emollient, as some lotions contain alcohol which, can be even MORE drying to the skin.
Locations and Hours
University of Maryland Faculty Physicians, Inc. Immediate Care
5890 Waterloo Road
Columbia, MD 21045
- Monday–Friday 8 am to 8 pm
- Saturday and Sunday 8 am to 6 p
We are open 364 days a year (closed on Christmas). Walk-ins welcome.
UMaryland Immediate Care (for University of Maryland students and employees)
408 W. Lombard Street
Baltimore, MD 21201
- Monday–Friday from 7 am to 5 pm.