20 Questions to Ask Your Doctor About IBD
Call for appointment:410-706-3387 410-706-3387
If have been recently diagnosed with IBD, it might help to ask your doctor the following questions:
- What is inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and how is it diagnosed?
- Do I have ulcerative colitis or Crohn’s disease?
- What specific area(s) of my intestine is (are) inflamed?
- Could any condition other than IBD be causing my symptoms?
- How is IBD different from irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)? Can I have both?
- How is IBD treated?
- What medicines are right for me? How soon should I expect relief?
- What are the potential side effects of the medicines? What should I do if I notice any side effects? Do I need to take my medicines even if I feel well?
- Should I change my diet, take vitamins or other supplements, or make other lifestyle changes?
- How might smoking affect my symptoms?
- What are symptoms of IBD flares?
- What are the possible complications of Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis?
- Will I need an operation, and if so will it cure my IBD?
- Am I at increased risk for colon cancer?
- How might my diagnosis of IBD affect my ability to have a baby?
- Are my children at risk for developing IBD?
- What should I do if my symptoms return?
- Which symptoms should I consider an emergency?
- When should I have a follow-up appointment?
- How can I get more information?