Temporary Visitor Policy
In response to the coronavirus pandemic, the University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS) has put in place comprehensive, system-wide strict patient safety measures.
This approach includes requiring everyone to wear masks and limiting the number of visitors in our facilities.
As the COVID-19 crisis has evolved, we have continually updated our policies to better protect staff members, patients, visitors and our surrounding communities.
To increase the ways we support our patients and in light of our comprehensive safety measures, University of Maryland Medical Center has updated its visitor policy to allow limited visitors to inpatients who are not suspected or confirmed to have COVID-19.
To help prevent the spread of the disease, adult patients diagnosed with COVID-19 or who are under investigation may not have visitors.
Limited exceptions may be made for pediatric patients, patients with disabilities, and patients at the end of life.
For adult patients: Only one person may visit per day; however, the visitor can vary from day to day. Each hospital sets visiting hours. All visitors must be age 18 or older, unless they are the parent of a patient.
For pediatric patients: two parents or guardians may visit during hospital visiting hours and one may remain overnight if the hospital can accommodate it.
Based on patient needs, limited exceptions may be made for patients with disabilities and patients at the end of life.
- One visitor may accompany a patient to facilitate care or treatment such as an ambulatory visit, procedure or same-day surgery. This visitor will remain with the patient or in a designated waiting area.
- Patients with disabilities who need a support person can have one person to accompany them to outpatient visits.
- We discourage patients from having minors accompany them to appointments. If no other arrangement, such as a telemedicine visit, can be made, please call your provider’s office in advance to discuss options.
Guidelines for Visitors
When visitors are permitted, keep in mind:
- Only one person may visit per day.
- Visitation can occur only after the patient’s initial admission COVID testing has confirmed their COVID-19 status.
- Frequent entry and exit from the hospital is discouraged. Some facilities may not allow visitors who leave to come back in the same day.
- Visitors may be screened for flu-like symptoms.
- Every person walking through our hospitals or physician practices must wear a face mask at all times.
- Proper infection prevention practices – including masking, hand washing/sanitizing and social distancing – must be followed by all visitors.
- Visitors must follow the directions of staff and each hospital's visitor policy rules.