eFocus – March 2022
Welcome to eFocus. Our goal is to provide you with timely, informative and useful short summaries and links about UM UCH related news, issues, or events. Feel free to contact us if you have news to share, story ideas or any other feedback. As always, your comments are welcome.
eFocus, March 2022 topics include:
- Welcome Message
- COVID Updates
- Safety Updates
- Empathy & Wellness Updates
- Upcoming Meetings and Events
We have seen the decrease in COVID volume which has been a welcome change. Challenges remain, though, as the COVID volume has been replaced with non-COVID patients and we have restarted surgeries. Still, these are all uplifting changes as we are able to completely serve our community through the Emergency Departments and ORs of UM UCMC and UM HMH. We should all enjoy some well-deserved times of rest and recovery. But we--UM UCH leaders--also need to help to recover our patient safety, quality and patient experience performance. You will note our harm index graph is off target as are our HAIs. We were once the leaders across UMMS in these aspects, and we will get there again. Let’s tackle this hill together!Fermin Barrueto, Jr., M.D., M.B.A.
Senior Vice President/CMO
Medical Staff Affairs
UrMUCH Appreciated Relaunch and Sweepstakes: Recognize one of your fellow team members by logging in to the new and improved UrMUCH Appreciated program. From Tuesday, March 1 through Monday, March 14, any team members or leaders who login to the UrMUCH Appreciated program will be entered into a sweepstakes. Each week we will randomly select 40 winners to receive 12,500 points. Winners will be notified on March 9 and March 16, respectively.
It’s easy to participate! Simply log on to the UrMUCH Appreciated recognition and rewards website by:
- going to https://ummsrewards.com;
- clicking on the NEW tile located on the Insider (intranet) homepage; or
- NEW! Downloading and using the TouchPoint Connect (our recognition vendor) mobile app! Instructions are attached, and it’s super easy to use! You’ll login using the same username and password as on the website.
- Your *Username is <your UMMS e-mail address>. *Your username has now been changed to your UMMS e-mail address.
- Your Password will be what you selected at the initial launch of the UrMUCH Appreciated program. Forgot your password? No worries! Just click on the Forgot Password link and go to your UMMS e-mail for reset instructions. Need to talk to someone? Call 1-800-875-8284 between 9 am and 6 pm and ask for Customer Service.
National Doctors' Day: March 30 is Doctors’ Day, an annual observance aimed at appreciating physicians who help save lives everywhere. In addition to saying 'thank you' and showing your appreciation for our UM UCH physicians that day, you can also recognize a special doctor, friend, or peer that you work alongside of by making a tribute gift in his/her name. Learn more.
Dr. Leo's COVID Corner: View this month's full library of articles and resources HERE. Topics include increased hospitalization of children during Omicron surge, increased risk of mental health disorder after COVID diagnosis, ineffectiveness of Ivermectin for treating COVID, and more.
Journey to Zero Harm: Below is the current Infection Prevention healthcare-associated infection (HAI) graph. The IP Team continues to round, educate and work to assure our team members are knowledgeable about Infection Prevention basics and the bundle-best practices to target prevention of specific HAIs. If you have any question, concerns or needs, please reach out!
The Future Leapfrog Journey to 'A': Please review the attached slides to learn how you can help on our journey to becoming a Leapfrog 'A' hospital.
Keys to Disinfection: While everyone is working hard to ready their areas/departments for our eagerly anticipated Joint Commission survey at UCMC, please remember that cleaning/disinfection and following manufacturer instructions for use (IFU’s) are items often addressed during the survey. Here are some keys for you to be successful in your area.
The Giraffe Newsletter: eFocus will now share the monthly edition of the patient safety newsletter, the Giraffe. Why "Giraffe"? Because giraffes have their heads above the trees when they eat; it's also when they are most vulnerable so they can see what's going on around them. It reminds us in healthcare that we need to see the forest and not the trees. Check out the latest issue here!
Physician Kudos: Each month, our Patient Experience team collects positive comments and kudos from patients' responses on the HACPHS surveys. Check out last month's many notes of thanks and appreciation to several of our physicians at HMH and UCMC!
Physician Support Line: The Physician Support Line is a free, confidential peer support line staffed by volunteer psychiatrists helping physician colleagues navigate the many intersections of their personal and professional lives. For support, please call 1-888-409-0141, 7 days a week, from 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. EST. You can also visit www.physiciansupportline.com to learn more.
Mark your calendars for important standing meetings and special events.
- Multidisciplinary Thoracic and General Conferences: 12 Noon, Alternates Every Thursday (e.g., Thoracic is 11/3, General is 11/10)
UM UCMC, KCC Streett Conference Room
- Multidisciplinary Breast Conference: 8 a.m., Every Tuesday
Radiology/Oncology Conference Room
- Pharmacy &Therapeutics (P & T) Committee: 7:30 a.m., Third Tuesday of each month
UM UCMC Maryland Room
- Credentials Committee: 7:30 - 9 a.m., First Friday of each month
UM UCMC, MSCR
- Medical Staff Leadership: 8 - 9 a.m., Fourth Thursday of each month
UM UCMC, Fallston Room/UM HMH, MSCR
Metabolic Bariatric Surgery Committee: 5 p.m., Quarterly, Wednesdays
HMH MSCR and UCMC Fallston Room
Advanced Practice Providers (APP) Review Committee: First Tuesday of each month