Your Health. Our Mission.
Update: April 17, 2020
A Message to Our Community:
I have been sharing our plans for transforming health care in our region for several years. I am extremely happy to share with you that the University of Maryland Upper Chesapeake Health (UM UCH) received approval for those plans from the Maryland Healthcare Commission yesterday. I want to assure you, our friends and neighbors, that despite the challenges of COVID-19, our medical staff and all of our care providers stand united to deliver the best possible care to our community today and into the future. You can rest assured that the lessons learned from this pandemic will be integrated into our planning moving forward.
Here is a summary of our plans and what has been approved:
UM Harford Memorial Hospital in Havre de Grace will continue to operate until the new Aberdeen campus is complete. The timeline projected for the opening of the Aberdeen Medical Campus is in the 2022-2023 timeframe (approximately 2-1/2 - 3 years from now).
UM Upper Chesapeake Medical Center – Aberdeen campus was approved for the following services:
- Behavioral Health Pavilion/Psychiatric hospital with (33) inpatient behavioral health beds and shell space for (7) additional Behavioral Health inpatient beds. We will offer a full array of critically needed inpatient and outpatient behavioral health services to serve the high need in our community.
- A free standing medical facility with a full service Emergency Department twice the size of the current Emergency Department at UM Harford Memorial Hospital with (5) triage rooms, (25) emergency treatment rooms, of which (5) are dedicated emergency behavioral health treatment rooms, (17) observation beds (short stay medical care beds) and shell space for (7) additional observation beds, diagnostic imaging suite, lab, pharmacy and additional support services.
- The existing office building will be our medical office building for primary care and other medical specialty offices as well as additional outpatient services such as Rehabilitation services, a comprehensive Imaging Center and an Infusion Center.
This Aberdeen location allows our patients and team members to have easy access to existing public transportation, nearby retail stores and pharmacies.
UM Upper Chesapeake Medical Center – Bel Air
- Our multi-phase parking expansion projects will be completed in the summer of 2020.
- We are building an outpatient building which will include an ambulatory surgery center
- We will be building three additional floors on the Kaufman Cancer Center:
- One floor will have 42 observation beds (for short stay medical care needs),
- One floor will have 30 medical/surgical beds, and
- One floor will be utilized for the expanding needs of the Kaufman Cancer Center.
Our focus is to increase access to care, coordinate efforts between hospital-based and community care providers, and continue to develop new models of care delivery supported by state-of-the-art technology. All of our campus projects are designed with our community's health care needs in mind as we continue to incorporate innovative, technological capabilities in to the care we deliver for our community.
To your good health,
Lyle E. Sheldon, FACHE
UM Upper Chesapeake Health
Project updates will be regularly posted on the Upper Chesapeake Health Facebook page and Twitter page pages and at umuch.org/newcampus.
Your Health, Our Mission.