Perinatal Loss Program
In Loving Memory of the Tiny Hearts We Have Lost
UM St. Joseph's ROOTS (Recognizing Others Overcoming Their Struggles Perinatal Loss Program offers support to grieving families of babies who have prematurely passed. The program honors women and families who have experienced an infant or fetal loss by acknowledging the lifelong parenting and bereavement process, and provides education, resources and support with compassionate, loving care.
ROOTS offers holistic care, support and follow-up to families who are grieving the loss of a child from any gestational age through neonatal period.
Family Services and Support
- Private patient rooms and the Edward V. Julio Family Bereavement Room allow families the privacy needed for grieving, consultations and making memories.
- Unlimited visitors.
- Continuing education, program development, and exceptional personalized care is available from our multidisciplinary team of doctors, nurses and spiritual care chaplains.
- Spiritual support, including a baby-naming ceremony, baptism and blessings, can be conducted.
- Burial and memorial services, held twice a year, are available for all families who have experienced a loss.
- Follow-up care is offered to support grieving parents and family members. Care includes follow-up calls and cards.
- A special Baby Memory Box contains a book and other keepsakes.
- Our resource library offers a supply of books and information on relevant topics ranging from miscarriage to full-term loss. Local bereavement service locations are also listed.
- Bereavement photos* and a memory card can be provided as time-honored reminders of babies who have prematurely passed.
* Some limitations may apply
Families are encouraged to assist in creating the most compassionate and comprehensive bereavement experience through:
- Holding their baby before and during death, if possible
- Attending a spiritual service, held twice a year in the UM St. Joseph Medical Center chapel
The ROOTS Parent and Family Support Group
This support group is for those who have suffered a loss in any stage of their pregnancy. Meetings are held on the first Monday of each month from 8 – 9:30 a.m. on the 3rd floor in the Edward V. Julio Family Bereavement Room.
**In-person meetings have been suspended during the pandemic, but will resume as soon as it is safe to do so. Please know that, in the meantime, our families and their babies remain lovingly in our prayers.**
Free Parking – Validation stickers will be available for your convenience. Please R.S.V.P. to Judy Hvisc, support group facilitator, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about our infant and fetal loss program, please call the ROOTS support line at 410-427-5440, or email email@example.com.
To make a charitable donation in support of ROOTS, please contact the UM St. Joseph Medical Center Foundation at 410-337-1397 or email SJFoundation@umm.edu