Perinatal Loss Program
In Loving Memory of the tiny hearts we have lost
To support grieving families of babies who have prematurely passed, UM SJMC has a Perinatal Loss Program, which includes bereavement resource services. Also referred to as ROOTS, (Recognizing Others Overcoming their Struggles) the mission of this program is to:
- Honor women and families who experience a perinatal loss by acknowledging the lifelong parenting and bereavement process;
- Educate and develop programs to support this process comprehensively with compassionate loving care.
This program provides holistic care, support and follow up to families who are grieving the loss of a child from any gestational age through neonatal period.
Family Services and Support
- Private patient rooms and the Edward V. Julio Family Bereavement Room allow families the privacy needed for grieving, consultations and making memories.
- Unlimited visitors.
- Continuing education, program development, and exceptional personalized care is available from our multidisciplinary care team of doctors, nurses and spiritual care chaplains.
- Spiritual support, including a baby naming ceremony, baptism and blessings, can be conducted.
- Burial and memorial services, held twice a year, are available for all families who have experienced a loss.
- Follow-up care is offered to support grieving parents and family members. Care includes follow up calls and cards.
- A special Baby Memory Box contains a book and other keepsakes.
- Our resource library offers a supply of books and information on relevant topics ranging from miscarriage to full term loss. Local bereavement service locations are also listed.
- Bereavement photos* and a memory card can be provided as time-honored reminders of babies who have prematurely passed.
* Some limitations may apply
Families are encouraged to assist in creating the most compassionate and comprehensive bereavement experience through:
- Holding their baby before and during death, if possible
- Attending a spiritual service held twice a year in the UM St. Joseph Medical Center chapel
ROOTS Parent and Family Support Groups
This support group is for those who have suffered a loss in any stage of their pregnancy. Meetings are held on the first Monday of each month from 6:30 – 8: 00 p.m. on the 3rd floor in the Edward V. Julio Family Bereavement Room.
2018 Meeting Dates
- April 2
- May 7
- June 4
- July 2
- August 6
- Sept (TBA - First Monday is Labor Day)
- October 1
- November 5
- December 3
Free Parking – Validation stickers will be available for your convenience. Please R.S.V.P. to Judy Hvisc, support group facilitator, at email@example.com.
"On the stairway to heaven, I will follow your footprints until we meet again."
For more information, call the ROOTS support line at 410-427-5440, or email Perinatal Loss Coordinator Janine Meadows at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Interested in making a charitable donation? Contact the UM St. Joseph Medical Center Foundation at 410-337-1397 or email SJFoundation@umm.edu