Telemedicine: Online Doctor Visits
At UM St. Joseph Medical Center, we are committed to bringing you the care you need to remain safe and healthy.
Telemedicine appointments allow patients continued access to our experienced healthcare professionals in the secure setting of home.
How to Make an Appointment
- Existing patients with access to MyPortfolio can request a virtual visit there or call the office directly.
- New patients should contact the provider by phone.
Search for a provider's contact information using Find a Doctor.
What Telemedicine Can Do
Telemedicine allows you to continue to work with your healthcare provider to manage a variety of health conditions. It also saves travel time and helps you observe social distancing and current CDC health recommendations.
Services available will vary by provider. Contact your provider for more details.
- Annual wellness visits and new patient consultations
- Sick visits, in some cases
- Reviewing lab and test results
- Follow-up care
- Medication checks and some prescription refills
- Transitional care management, which follows a discharge from a hospital
- Second opinions or evaluation for a particular treatment, such as organ transplantation
Symptoms and Conditions
While the following can often be evaluated via telemedicine, the next step could be an in-person visit.
- Seasonal allergies and sinus infections
- Rashes and conjunctivitis
- Some injuries, such as back strain and minor burns
- Urinary complaints
- Respiratory symptoms of illnesses that could be the common cold, flu or COVID-19
Ongoing Health Issues
Our providers are here to help you manage your medical condition during the pandemic.
- Asthma, COPD and other pulmonary conditions
- Behavioral health
- Cancer treatment symptoms
- Gastrointestinal conditions
- High blood pressure and many other heart and vascular conditions
- Neurological conditions
- Pain management
- Palliative care
- Pregnancy – Some prenatal appointments (Read more about Pregnancy and COVID-19.)
How Telemedicine Works
To meet the needs of our patients, we offer a variety of types of telehealth visits. Your provider's office can help set you up with the right appointment.
Our telemedicine video appointments include real-time video and audio, as well as a chat feature. UM UCH uses Zoom as its preferred telemedicine video tool. Learn more about how to connect to a telemedicine appointment.
Scheduled Telephone Visits
Patients may also use their phones for telemedicine appointments. Call your provider to make an appointment. You will be given a scheduled time and a number to call.