- Integrative health care is a holistic approach to improved health that takes into consideration a patient’s physical and emotional wellbeing. The services, now available at the Cancer Institute,
Review personal circumstances that affect the physical and emotional aspects of a patient’s health
- Include conventional and complementary health care approaches
- Have been shown to improve patients’ quality of life.
The goal of this program is to address the roots of illness, not just the symptoms.
Therapeutic activities offered, or being established in the Cancer Institute, are listed below:
Involves stimulating various points of the body with needles; It promotes the body's natural self-healing process by stimulating the release of neurochemicals, which influence the body's internal regulating system.
- Used for dozens of conditions and diseases including stress, pain management, depression, hypertension and stroke
- Quickly rebalances the autonomic nervous system
Uses plant materials and aromatic plant oils, including essential oils, and other aroma compounds
- Improves psychological and physical wellbeing
- Promote relaxation and stress reduction
Art Therapy/ Journaling
Can include painting, drawing, jewelry making, scrap booking and written & illustrative accounts of life experiences.
- Allows patients to express themselves and process their health care experience in a creative way
- Promotes relaxation, reduces stress
- Uses the imagination to connect with feelings and transform pain and tension
- Heightens sense of empowerment and well-being
- Helps process grief and trauma
- Provides sense of purpose and meaning
Trained specialists and peers offer emotional and psychosocial support and resources during cancer treatment and beyond.
Educational post-treatment lectures
One-on-one consultations from Cancer Institute social worker
A partner support workshop, which helps spouses and family members cope and support their loved one in treatment
For breast cancer patients: mentors, trained in all aspects of support are available
Healing TouchA gentle complementary energy-based approach to health and healing approach. The goal is to restore harmony and balance to the human energy system through a heart-centered caring relationship and use of contact/ non-contact touch.
- Utilizes off-body or light touch methods that clear congestion, relief pain, facilitate balance, and promote mind-body-spirit healing
- Works in harmony with standard medical care
- Works with a person’s energy field to support their natural ability to heal
Manipulation of tissue with hand or an instrument to promote wellness in the body.
Therapeutic touch is nurturing and addresses areas that are painful
Works in harmony with standard medical care.
Can promote recovery from fatigue.
Relieves tense muscles, promotes relaxation, and boosts mood.
Fully attending to what’s happening in your life; the ability to be fully present, aware of where you are and what you’re doing.
- Can be cultivated when sitting, walking, standing, and moving
- May be merged with meditation and other activities, such as yoga or sports
- Helps you live in the present and is an excellent way to increase a sense of calm while decreasing anxiety
- Increases clarity of thoughts and feelings, leaving individuals feeling less reactive and more in control
Monitoring of patients’ diet and nutrition during cancer treatment. Focus is on appetite, weight and food consumption.
- Improved nutritional health to make patients stronger
- Helps improve body weight, strength and tissue
- Fights infection
Utilizes rehabilitative care, such as physical and occupational therapies to aid in phases of cancer treatment, from acute care (during chemotherapy, radiation & post-surgery) through long-term survivorship.
- Helps reduce fatigue
- Decreases chances of falls
- Strengthens muscles
- Improves functionality
- Controls pain
- Helps manage side effects of lymphedema
- Improves ability to perform daily activities
Can assist patients and family members address issues of identity, hope, worth and purpose that can positively influence quality of life and care options when faced with serious illness.
- Coping through religion and spirituality
- Discovering new life perspective and appreciation for what one has
- Religious/spiritual transformation and inner growth
- Acceptance of what is and life’s limits
- Community of support accompanied by prayer and sense of belonging
Creates strength, awareness and harmony in the mind and body.
- Helps manage stress and a person’s mental wellbeing
- Lessens chronic pain and stress
- Reduces insomnia
- Increases flexibility, muscle strength and tone
- Improves respiration, energy and vitality
- Helps with mental clarity
- Increase body awareness