UM Shore Regional Health Celebrates National Nutrition Month With Free Programs
University of Maryland Shore Regional Health dietitians and diabetes educators have planned a series of events for National Nutrition Month®, which is observed annually in March by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. This year’s campaign, "Go Further with Food" focuses attention on the importance of making informed food choices as well as developing sound eating and physical activity habits, and also offers strategies to cut back on food waste. “We are excited to help our team members as well as people in our region learn more about how to avoid health problems and maximize their quality of life through proper diet and nutrition,” says Katie Ewers, registered dietitian and nutrition associate manager for UM Shore Regional Health. “Simple changes in the way you shop for food and prepare meals and snacks can significantly the risk for chronic conditions like diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The events we are offering are designed to share nutrition information and dietary strategies that people of any age can employ to maintain their best health.”
In the Hospital Cafeterias: Food and Nutrition Services will celebrate National Nutrition Month by featuring special National Nutrition Month entrées for sale in the cafeterias of all three hospitals. Also be sure to take advantage of these special offerings:
- Tuesday, March 6: Healthy snacks and handouts will be provided to all nursing units
- Tuesday, March 13: Fruit and vegetable tastings will be offered in the cafeterias
- In Easton - Tuesday, March 13, 1:30 p.m., Giant Foods, 8223 Elliott Rd. RSVP: 410-822-1000, ext. 5188. Tour led by Karen Hollis, registered dietitian and diabetes educator, UM Center for Diabetes & Endocrinology.
- In Chestertown - Wednesday, March 21, 1 p.m., Redner’s Market, 17 Washington Avenue. RSVP: 410-778-7668, ext. 2295. Tour led by Mary King, registered dietitian, UM SMC at Chestertown
- In Cambridge - Wednesday, March 21, 1 p.m., Walmart, 2775 Dorchester Square. RSVP: 410-822-1000, ext. 5351. Tour led by Katie Ewers, nutrition associate manager, Food and Nutrition Services, UM Shore Regional Health
- “Learn about Diabetes and Nutrition,”
Friday, March 23, 10 am-12 pm, at the Food Pantry at Delmarva Community Services, 1000 Goodwill Avenue, Cambridge. Free seminar presented by BK Eshete and Karen Hollis. diabetes educators, UM Center for Diabetes & Endocrinology, . Pre-registration required, call Brenda Fields, 410-901-2991, ext.18.
- “The ‘Mind Diet’ and Healthy Weight Loss"
Wednesday, March 28, 2 p.m., Conference Center, UM Shore Medical Center at Chestertown. Free seminar presented by Mary King, registered dietitian, 410-778-7668, ext. 2295.
- “Harvesting Healthy Choices” Thursday, March 29, 12 p.m., UM Shore Medical Center at Easton Board Room. Free seminar with food sampling presented by Kelly Jackson from Emily’s Produce of Cambridge.