Ranitidine (By mouth)
Ranitidine Hydrochloride (ra-NI-ti-deen hye-droe-KLOR-ide)
Treats and prevents heartburn. Also treats stomach ulcers, gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), and conditions that cause too much stomach acid.
Acid Reducer, Cool Mint Acid Reducer, DermaSilkRx Anodynexa Pak, DermacinRx Inflammatral Pak, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Acid Control 150, Good Neighbor Pharmacy Acid Reducer, Good Sense Acid Reducer, Health Mart Acid Reducer, Leader Acid Control, Leader raNITIdine HCl, Sunmark Acid Reducer, TopCare Heartburn Relief 150, TopCare Heartburn Relief 75, Zantac, Zantac 150
When This Medicine Should Not Be Used
How to Use This Medicine
Capsule, Tablet, Liquid, Fizzy Tablet, Liquid Filled Capsule, Granule
- Your doctor will tell you how much medicine to use. Do not use more than directed.
- Follow the instructions on the medicine label if you are using this medicine without a prescription.
- Measure the oral liquid medicine with a marked measuring spoon, oral syringe, or medicine cup.
- The effervescent tablet should not be chewed, swallowed whole, or dissolved on the tongue. The Zantac 25 EFFERdose Tablet should be mixed in 1 teaspoon (or more) of water. Do not drink the liquid until the tablet is completely dissolved.
- If you are using this medicine to prevent heartburn, take it 30 to 60 minutes before you eat or drink anything that causes you to have heartburn.
- Missed dose: Take a dose as soon as you remember. If it is almost time for your next dose, wait until then and take a regular dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up for a missed dose.
- Store the medicine in a closed container at room temperature, away from heat, moisture, and direct light. You may store the oral liquid in the refrigerator.
Drugs and Foods to Avoid
Ask your doctor or pharmacist before using any other medicine, including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and herbal products.
- Some medicines can affect how ranitidine works. Tell your doctor if you are using the following:
Warnings While Using This Medicine
- Tell your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, or if you have kidney disease, liver disease, or a history of acute porphyria.
- EFFERdose® tablets contain phenylalanine. If you have phenylketonuria (PKU), talk to your doctor before you use this medicine.
- Tell any doctor or dentist who treats you that you are using this medicine. This medicine may affect certain medical test results.
- Keep all medicine out of the reach of children. Never share your medicine with anyone.
Possible Side Effects While Using This Medicine
Call your doctor right away if you notice any of these side effects:
- Allergic reaction: Itching or hives, swelling in your face or hands, swelling or tingling in your mouth or throat, chest tightness, trouble breathing
- Blistering, peeling, red skin rash
- Dark urine or pale stools, nausea, vomiting, loss of appetite, stomach pain, yellow skin or eyes
- Fast, slow, or uneven heartbeat
- Unusual bleeding, bruising, or weakness
If you notice these less serious side effects, talk with your doctor:
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Mild nausea, vomiting, or stomach pain
If you notice other side effects that you think are caused by this medicine, tell your doctor
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088
- Last reviewed on 4/4/2018
A.D.A.M., Inc. is accredited by URAC, also known as the American Accreditation HealthCare Commission (www.urac.org). URAC's accreditation program is an independent audit to verify that A.D.A.M. follows rigorous standards of quality and accountability.
subscribes to the principles of the Health on the Net Foundation (www.hon.ch)
The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Call 911 for all medical emergencies. Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites. © 1997- 2013 A.D.A.M., Inc. Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.