The Hackerman-Patz House
A Home Away from Home for Supportive Families
The Hackerman-Patz House provides a home away from home for families facing short-term or extended stays when a loved one is receiving care at the University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute.
This on-campus, affordable housing option, located in a lovely and peaceful setting, provides a place to relax for families who have uprooted their lives in exchange for access to the very best possible care.
Patients respond better to treatment when their loved ones are near to provide support and become partners in the recovery process. The Hackerman-Patz House makes this possible for all families.
Hackerman-Patz House Features and Amenities
The two-story facility offers a number of features and amenities to help families feel at home:
- 10 Wi-Fi-enabled bedrooms. Each bedroom includes: one King or two Double Beds, Private Bathroom and Refrigerator
- The Kernan Room, featuring flexible seating arrangements, a Wi-Fi enabled desk area, large-screen television, fireplace, credenza stocked with games and puzzles, and vaulted ceilings.
- Kitchen and dining area equipped with a refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave to accommodate eating and snack preparation
- Continental breakfast available in the morning and warm beverages provided throughout the day to Hackerman-Patz guests
- Welcoming reception area with an on-site, 24-hour staff and manager, including business capabilities for guests
- Large ADA-accessible outdoor patio leading to our park-like campus and featuring tables, chairs and a grill
- Well-lit pathways connecting the house to the main hospital
- Laundry facilities
- Security system with entry via key card
- Designated parking adjacent to the house
Pricing and Reservations
Pricing and reservation information is available by calling 410-448-7389. You can also now book online.
Be a Part of Our Story
With your generous support, the Hackerman-Patz House allows us to take better care of our patients, by taking care of their family members, too. The generous gift from Willard Hackerman and Lillian Patz Hackerman supported initial construction of the Hackerman-Patz House. Philanthropic gifts help support ongoing operations and programming and allow us to continue to make the Hackerman-Patz House experience a reality for patients and their families.
Every dollar makes a difference and is appreciated. Philanthropic gifts to the Hackerman-Patz House are tax-deductible as allowed by law.
Our promise is to make every donated dollar count. To learn more or to make a donation to support the Hackerman-Patz House, please visit us online at the University of Maryland Medical System Foundation and select "Hackerman-Patz House" from the Choose a program drop-down menu. You may also contact the UMMS Foundation at 410-328-5770.