Patient and Family Advisory Council
At the University of Maryland Rehabilitation & Orthopaedic Institute, we know that to fulfill our mission to provide Safe, Effective, Patient Centered, Timely, Efficient and Equitable Care, we must partner with our patients and families to give them a voice in our understanding of the patient experience and the design, development and implementation of how care is delivered.
That is why we are seeking volunteers from our community to apply for membership on the Patient and Family Advisory Council (PFAC).
What is the Patient and Family Advisory Council
- A partnership between patients and families with members of the healthcare team to provide guidance on how to improve the patient and family experience, quality of care and patient safety.
- We are a group of patients, family members, and hospital staff who advise the leaders of the hospital about issues which are important to the patients and families who use this hospital.
What PFAC can do for the Hospital
- Provide input on policies, programs and projects
- Help develop or review informational materials for patients and their families
- Recommend changes and define action plans
What PFAC can do for Families
Through their unique perspectives, members will:
- Give input on issues that impact the quality and delivery of care, ensuring that the next patient or family member’s journey is the best it can possibly be
- Speak up for patients and families by ensuring their views are taken into account when plans are developed
- Serve as a link between the hospital and the community of patients and families.
Who can join
We welcome individuals who are:
- Patients who have received UM Rehab’s care
- Closely involved family member of our patients
What is in it for you
- Gain better understanding of the healthcare system
- Use personal experiences to make a difference and give back to your community
- Have a venue to express your opinions, thoughts and desires
- Generate new ideas and participate in future planning
Advisors are asked to:
- Serve a 1 year term
- Commit to one evening a month for meetings
- Be able to listen to differing opinions and share their point of view
- Be positive and supportive of the mission of the hospital
- Be able to work productively and collaboratively within a group
I am Interested, What is the Next Step?
We invite you to complete the attached application form. We will interview all interested parties to find the best match.
If you need additional information, please contact:
Patent Experience Dept.