Six Tips for Eye Health
Here are a few tips to help you maintain healthy vision:
- To prevent your eyes from straining, avoid continuous use of a computer or watching television for more than two hours at a time.
- Do not read in dark or dim lighting. Instead, read in a well-lit area or with a small reading light.
- Consume foods high in certain key nutrients, which optimize the health of your eyes. Eat foods rich in vitamin C, such as bell peppers, spinach, broccoli and Brussels sprouts. Vitamin A is also essential for eye health, and is found in vegetables like carrots and sweet potatoes.
- Quit smoking. Smoking has been linked to an increased risk of cataracts, optic nerve damage and macular degeneration.
- Wear wraparound sunglasses when you are in the sun. Choose sunglasses that are labeled as blocking 99 to 100 percent of both UVA and UVB rays.
- Be sure to have an eye examination once every year to detect any problems and prevent them from worsening.