Diabetes and Endocrinology
Diabetes and Endocrinology Services For Children
Call for appointment:443-682-6800 443-682-6800
UMCDE educational and treatment programs have been created especially for children and adolescents with diabetes and endocrine disorders.
For our diabetes patients, services are directed at keeping blood sugar levels under control and reducing long- term complications.
All of our diabetes and endocrine programs focus on helping children and adolescents cope daily with their disorder, teaching them to live well and prepare for a healthy future.
Diabetes services include:
- Evaluation and assessment by a team that includes pediatric endocrinologists, certified diabetes nurse educators, diabetes nutritionists, pediatric nurse practitioners and social workers.
- An interdisciplinary team approach that works collectively to develop the best treatment plan.
- 24-hour access to trained on-call diabetes staff for emergencies and problems.
- Individualized nutrition assistance to teach children and families to maintain a healthy diet.
- Lifestyle education to help with school and leisure activities.
- Liaison with schools to help families establish routine blood sugar checks and insulin injections.
- Focus on intensive management of diabetes, with classes for beginning and continuing insulin pump therapy.
- In-hospital care when needed.
To make an appointment call 443-682-6800
Intensive Management Program for Insulin Pump Therapy
University of Maryland Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology at UMMC Midtown Campus has expanded its Intensive Management Program for patients and families interested in improving diabetes blood sugar control through insulin pump therapy. Patients and families interested in this program work closely with the Pediatric Diabetes team to improve diabetes control with the goal of increasing knowledge and self-management skills, and ultimately decreasing HbA1c and complications risk.
Young Adult Diabetes Clinic
This clinic is for teenagers and young adults aged 16 - 21 years who have "graduated" from pediatric diabetes care and would benefit from diabetes care focused on transitioning to adult diabetes care.
Children's Metabolic Clinic
This clinic focuses on the metabolic complications of obesity including pre-diabetes, high cholesterol and high blood pressure, with the goal of treating the obesity and preventing diabetes and other long term problems.
Endocrine Disorders Services
Diagnosing endocrine disorders can be very challenging, but UMCDE pediatric endocrinologists are experts in diagnosing and treating a wide range of conditions.
The pediatric practice at UMCDE provides diagnostic and treatment services for patients with all types of endocrine disorders including:
- Thyroid diseases
- Pituitary disorders
- Adrenal disorders
- Bone, calcium and other metabolic bone disorders
- Gonadal disorders
- Growth disorders
- Pubertal disorders