Make Face Masks to Donate
The COVID-19 DIY Masks initiative is a way for our communities to assist during these unprecedented times. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently issued guidance approving the use of cloth masks in certain settings.
Follow the steps below to make and deliver masks.
- These masks can be worn by employees not providing care and by patients and visitors.
- Unlike the N95 masks, these are not designed to prevent COVID-19 entirely; however, if constructed properly they will prevent some transmission.
- There are two variations of the mask – folded and fitted – and both are options when creating these masks.
- Sewing experience, not expertise, is required to fabricate these correctly.
Step By Step Instructions
- JOANN Fabrics has great instructional videos and guides for making masks at home.
- Once completed, you can coordinate a drop of completed masks with one of our UMMS hospitals:
- University of Maryland Medical System (UMMS)
- UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center
- UM Capital Region Health
- UM Charles Regional Medical Center
- UM Rehabilitation and Orthopaedic Institute
- UM Shore Regional Health
- UM St. Joseph Medical Center
- UM Upper Chesapeake Health
- University of Maryland Medical Center
- University of Maryland Medical Center Midtown Campus
- Mt. Washington Pediatric Hospital