COVID Testing at State Center
State Center at 300 W. Preston St, just north of Baltimore's Mount Vernon neighborhood, is a COVID testing location managed by the BCCFH - COVID Task Force, a joint operation by University of Maryland Medical System and Johns Hopkins Medicine.
At different times throughout the week, this same location also offers vaccinations and boosters. See vaccination days and times.
COVID Tests at State Center
- For PCR tests, results are available generally within 24-72 hours.
- For rapid antigen testing tests, results are available generally within 1-2 hours.
- We also have COVID home rapid test kits (1 per person) and KN-95 masks (2 per person) available to the public on a walk-up basis. They are being distributed at the exit on the east side of the State Center COVID testing/vaccination tent, while supplies are available.
- You may also order free home test kits from covidtests.gov. Each home in the United States is eligible to receive 4 tests kits through the mail.
COVID Treatment at State Center
If you are feeling sick when you come for your test, you will be able to get a rapid test and complete a questionnaire while you wait for your result to see if you qualify for treatment.
If your COVID rapid test is positive and you qualify for treatment, a medical provider will evaluate you on-site to determine which treatment is best for you.
If you think you might need treatment after your test at State Center, please bring a complete medication list with you and your insurance card, if you have one. However, you do not need to have insurance to be tested and treated at State Center. Testing and treatment is FREE.
How to Get a COVID Test at State Center
For COVID testing, appointments are preferred.
- Monday: 8 – 2 pm
- Tuesday: 2:30 – 6 pm
- Wednesday: 12 – 4 pm
- Thursday: 10:30 am – 1:30 pm
- Friday: 8 am – 2 pm
- Saturday 10:30 am –12:15 pm
Our hours for Memorial Day weekend are:
- Saturday, May 28: Normal operations (Vaccine 8-10 am, Test 10:30 – 12:15 pm)
- Sunday, May 29: CLOSED
- Monday, May 30: CLOSED
- When scheduling a visit, please use your full legal name and bring ID to the appointment.
- For questions about testing or obtaining test results, please call 410-649-6200.
- State Center is an ADA-compliant facility, which means that all parts of it are accessible.
- Please don't arrive earlier than 15 minutes before your appointment.
We will generally be open during light to moderate rain but may pause operations due to lightning or severe weather. In the case of severe weather, please check this page or call our call center at 410-649-6200.
At Your COVID Testing Appointment
Be Prepared to Wait Outside
Important note: When you come to State Center, please dress appropriately for the weather. Due the need to limit how many people are inside the tent for safety reasons, you may need to wait outside for a time. If you are elderly, disabled or have infant children, please notify one of the BCCFH COVID Task Force personnel. We will make every effort to minimize your waiting time outside.
Come at Your Appointment Time
Coming early to your appointment time will not speed up the process. It can cause lines that make it difficult to safely social distance. Please arrive at State Center no more than 15 minutes before your appointment.
What Happens at Your Appointment
When it is time for your test, you will visit a registration table, where we will confirm your appointment time and personal details.
A clinician will insert a swab ("Q-tip") into the middle of your nostrils to collect the test specimen. This type of test, a PCR test, is considered the most accurate and reliable. Some patients report minor discomfort at most.
Receiving COVID Treatment at Your Appointment
Treatment for COVID at the time of testing may be available to some people who test positive. Keep in mind that getting tested and treated as the same visit may take an hour or more depending on how long the line is.
COVID Test Results
Patients will generally be able to get their results within 48 hours via text message, phone call or UMMS dedicated online patient portal. Learn more about MyPortfolio patient portal.
Getting to Your Appointment
This State Center location has taken the place of the Baltimore Convention Center location, which has now closed.
Directions and Parking
300 W. Preston St. Baltimore, MD 21201 - On Preston Street between North Eutaw and Mason St.
Entrance, Drop-Off and Parking
- Drop-off is on the westbound side of Preston Street between Mason and North Eutaw. See map.
- Entrance is on the west side of the building. See map.
- There is metered parking in the area near State Center.
The BCCFH at State Center is accessible by many forms of public transportation, including:
- Bus (Local Link 53, 54, 73, Express 154, CityLink Yellow and Lime)
- Light RailLink (Cultural Center)
- Metro SubwayLink (State Center)
- MTA MobilityLink (Paratransit)
About BCCFH - COVID Task Force
To meet the increased need for care due to COVID-19, the Baltimore Convention Center Field Hospital (BCCFH) was established in March 2020 to provide treatment, testing and vaccination.
In November 2021 operations for vaccination and testing were moved from the Convention Center to State Center, just north of downtown.
Jointly operated by: