Podiatry - Foot Ankle
One quarter of a human being’s bones are located in our feet. That’s a lot of pressure for the part of the body meant to keep us upright. With diagnosis, treatment plans, pain management and surgery, the University of Maryland Community Medical Group along with UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center offers a full range of services to treat your foot and ankle disorders.
Our specialties include:
- Trauma to the foot and ankle including fractures, dislocations and tendon ruptures
- Deformities such as flatfeet, high arches, bunions and hammertoes
- Diabetic foot, ankle and lower leg infections and ulcers, as well as non-diabetic wounds
- Soft tissue masses or cysts
- Common overuse syndromes such as heel pain, tendinitis and stress injuries
- Arthritis of the foot and ankle
- Skin lesions on the lower extremities
- Pain of the foot, ankle and heel
Our podiatrists and orthopedic specialists offer a variety of treatment options to care for foot and ankle disorders. These treatment options can include:
- Custom orthotics – specially-made devices designed to support and comfort your feet. They are crafted specifically to match the contours of your feet and the way you move. They can be custom designed specific to match the contours of your feet and can help control abnormal motion, treat foot pain, provide additional cushioning and support, and improve function.
- Physical therapy plans
- Surgery of the foot and ankle – including surgery on the Achilles tendon (due to a tendon injury or rupture) and open reduction and internal fixation surgery (used to repair fractures that would not heal correctly with splinting or casting alone).