Help for Patients to Pay Medical Care Costs
If you cannot pay for all or part of your care, you may be able to get free or lower cost services.
- We treat all patients needing emergency care, no matter what they are able to pay.
- Services approved through an UMMS hospital financial assistance department are covered by UM CMG financial assistance for the covered period.
- Services provided by UM CMG physicians or other providers may not be covered by the hospital Financial Assistance Policy. You can call 443-462-5010 if you have questions.
How The Process Works:
When you become a patient, we ask if you have any health insurance. We will not charge you more for medical services than we charge people with health insurance. We will give you information about our financial assistance policy, or assist with completing your application.
How We Review Your Application:
We will look at your ability to pay for care. We look at your income and family size. You may receive free or lower costs of care if:
- Your income or your family’s total income is low for the area where you live, or
- Your income falls below the federal poverty level if you had to pay for the full cost of your hospital care, minus any health insurance payments.
Please Note: If you are able to get financial help, we will tell you how much you can get. If you are not able to get financial help, we will tell you why not.
How To Apply For Financial Help:
- Fill out a Financial Assistance Application Form (English/español)
- Give us all of your information to help us understand your financial situation.
- Turn the Application Form in to us.
Please Note: The hospital must screen patients for Medicaid before giving financial help, or you must apply with your local Medicaid office, if eligible.