Hours: 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The Emergency Department is staffed 24 hours a day, seven days a week, by physicians, physician assistants, nurses and technicians.
All patients who come to the Emergency Department receive a medical screening. No one is turned away and treatment is not based on ability to pay.
- Treatment rooms with walls, not curtains;
- Dedicated 'fast track' with extended hours for less urgent cases;
- Separate waiting areas for acute and fast track patients;
- Waiting areas with child-friendly activities, free internet access computer stations, flat-screen TVs and varied reading material;
- Bedside registration;
- Forensic Nurse Examiners Program for victims of sexual assault; and
- Dedicated treatment rooms for children and specialized care.
What to Bring
- A legible, updated list of all medications being taken;
- A list of allergies;
- When you received your last tetanus shot;
- Your physician and insurance information.
Also, if you or a family member have a rare medical condition or are currently on a specific medical treatment program it is important the Emergency Department have this information. Providing this information to the Emergency Department Nurse Manager, before an emergency arises, will help the nurses and doctors provide the best care in the event that a visit to the Emergency Department is necessary. You may call the Emergency Department and set up an appointment with the Nurse Manager to discuss your medical needs.
Our new, expanded Emergency Department has specialty decontamination facilities in the event of a bio-terrorism or hazmat emergency. If you are exposed to a hazardous material call the Emergency Department at 301-609-4160 to let them know you are coming in. Tell them what you think you may have been exposed to. When you arrive at UM Charles Regional, wait outside and emergency personnel will assist you. Do not enter the building until advised in order to avoid exposing others.
Parking is available directly behind the Emergency Department off of Wicomico Street. Once you arrive and park, enter the facility and proceed to the registration check in area.