Same Day Surgery
Call for appointment:301-609-5006 301-609-5006
Same day surgery is for patients whose surgery can be done safely without the inconvenience and expense of an overnight stay. Your physician will determine if same day surgery is the best and most convenient treatment for you. Please take a few moments to look over the information and preparation suggestions for same day surgery.
Pre-Operative Testing and Teaching
- Pre-operative testing occurs 10 to 14 days prior to your surgery so that your surgeon can thoroughly evaluate your condition.
- Pre-operative teaching will provide you with specific information on your surgical procedure, how you prepare for it and what to do after you go home.
Your pre-operative Testing and teaching may involve blood work, X-rays and EKG or other diagnostic tests. Your physician and, if necessary, the UM Charles Regional Medical Center's anesthesia department, will provide you with preparation instructions.
Your physician's office will make an appointment with the Medical Center for you. If you need to change your appointment you may call 301-609-4150.
- Monday – Friday: 8:30 am – 4 pm
The Day of Your Pre-Operative Testing and Teaching
Things to bring with you:
- Our physician's orders for testing
- Your insurance card and completed insurance form, if available
- Your medications or a list of medications you are currently taking (Use the Personal Pocket Prescription Card to keep track of your medications.)
- Recent lab results if the tests were performed at facilities other than UM Charles Regional (Outside lab results may be faxed to 301-934-4273.)
The Night Before Your Surgery
If you will be receiving anesthesia for your procedure, (i.e., general, I.V. sedation, spinal, epidural and/or regional blocks) you must not have anything to eat or drink, including gum or mints, after midnight the night before your surgery, unless otherwise instructed.
The Day of Your Surgery
The day and time of your surgery will be given to you at the time of your pre-operative testing and teaching or as instructed by your physician. You must report to the Same Day Surgery Unit at the designated time. Should your physician determine that your same day surgery procedure requires special pre-surgical preparation or postoperative recovery and monitoring, you will be designated a morning admission. In this case you will be assigned to a medical center room after your surgery. Upon arrival at the medical center on the day of your surgery, please proceed directly to Registration located on the first floor of UM Charles Regional Medical Center. After registering, proceed to Same Day Surgery located in the South tower and check in.
Where Should I Go When I Check In?
You will enter through the Outpatient entrance in the rear of the hospital off of Wicomico Street. Check in at the Registration Desk. The Registration Coordinator will make a copy of your insurance card and driver's license. She will then direct you to your next destination.
Same Day Surgery Hours:
- Monday – Friday: 8 am – 5 pm
- Surgical Services: 24/7
For your convenience, some of the paperwork for a non-emergency admission can be done in advance. Your physician's office can assist you with making arrangements for your stay at UM Charles Regional Medical Center.
Pre-Admission Testing Hours:
- Monday – Friday: 8 am – 5 pm