Call for appointment:301-609-5444 301-609-5444
UM Charles Regional's Center for Diabetes Education has the answers to your questions on how to stay healthy with diabetes. We’re here to help with referrals, appointments and classes.
We work with you individually or in group sessions to show you how to manage your diabetes.
Our training covers:
- Blood sugar meter training
- Individual evaluation and diabetes instruction
- Group education classes
- Insulin instruction and injection training
- Diabetes nutrition instruction and weight management
Diabetes Self-Management Education for:
- Adults with Type 1 diabetes
- Adults with Type 2 diabetes
- Women with gestational diabetes (diabetes during pregnancy)
Course content is based on the AADE 7 Self Care Behaviors. You will receive written material on every subject so that you can use it for future reference. Please feel free to bring someone with you to the sessions.
For more information on days and times of classes, call us at 301-609-5444
The Center for Diabetes Education sponsors a support group open to adults with diabetes and their loved ones. Come learn more about living with diabetes in a relaxed, informal setting with plenty of fun mixed in.
Diabetes Support Group meetings are held on select Tuesday evenings and Wednesday afternoons:
- Tuesday evenings (6:30 - 8:00 pm):
- March 24
- April 28
- June 23
- September 22
- November 3
- Wednesday afternoons (2:00 - 3:30 pm):
- March 25
- April 29
- June 24
- September 23
- November 4
When to Get Diabetes Education
- Annual assessment of education, nutrition and emotional needs
Changes in living situations (now living alone or moving in with children)
- Changes in medication for diabetes
- Diagnosed with additional health conditions such as kidney disease, stroke or heart disease
- Help with education and self-management
- Newly diagnosed with diabetes
- Physical changes and limitations such as visual impairment, dexterity issues, movement restrictions
- Unexplained low blood sugars or unexplained high blood sugars
- Weight issues or other nutrition concerns related to diabetes
Learn more about diabetes at The American Diabetes Association.
Please arrive about 45 minutes early to the appointment so that you have time to complete your paperwork at Patient Registration.
To learn more about a referral and schedule an appointment, call us at 301-609-5444.
What To Bring
- Blood sugar meter (if you have one).
- The following forms:
- Your insurance card
- A list of your medicines
- Referral form (unless the doctor has already faxed it to us)
- Blood sugar record
- UM Charles Regional Medical Center
5 Garrett Avenue, First Floor
La Plata, MD 20646
Monday, Wednesday and Thursday: 8:30 am–5:00 pm
Tuesday: 12:00–8:00 pm
Friday: 8:30 am–4:00 pm