At University of Maryland Medical System, we are committed to transparency about the cost of your health care in our hospitals. These resources can help you understand those costs and answer any questions you might have.
Get a Price Estimate
For the most accurate estimate of the cost of care at an UMMS Hospital get a price estimate for an outpatient visit, procedure or surgery.
Insurance Coverage and Out-Of-Pocket Costs
If you have insurance, your insurance policy coverage (including deductibles, co-pays, co-insurance and out-of-pocket maximums) will determine the amount you owe. You may be responsible for other payments that your insurance requires. This is not reflected in the estimate provided by UMMS, which is for self-pay costs.
Your out-of-pocket costs can vary based on:
- The actual services provided to you based on your physician's treatment choices and your personal health care needs.
- Your insurance co-pay amount for your specific plan.
- Your insurance deductible or co-insurance and whether you have met the deductible for the current year.
The estimated cost is not a guarantee of insurance coverage. Please check with your insurance company if you need help understanding what your insurance covers for the services chosen. The phone number to call to reach your insurance company can be found on the back of your insurance card.
To improve price transparency, all U.S. hospitals and health systems are required to provide lists of hospital charges so patients can compare prices across hospitals. We have included two separate views of our prices:
1. Standard Hospital Charges (Chargemaster)
Listed below are a few considerations to keep in mind as you view the list of standard hospital charges, commonly known as the "Chargemaster."
- View Standard Hospital Charges:
- The chargemaster lists the dollar amount set for each service. In Maryland, the average prices for hospital services (e.g., radiology, laboratory, intensive care daily rate) are regulated by the Maryland Health Services Cost Review Commission (HSCRC). Each UMMS hospital has its own set of rates.
- The HSCRC sets average hospital prices on January 1 and July 1 of every year. University of Maryland Medical System will post this information shortly thereafter. Even though the state sets hospital prices by a certain date, hospital charges can change during the year. Charges on individual hospital bills may be different from the charges posted here.
- Variations in prices across hospitals does not provide any indication of quality of service and outcomes.
- Hospital charges posted on this site do not include charges for physician services, often called professional fees, which are separate from the hospital bill. Examples include physician charges, anesthesiology charges, radiologist reading fees and pathologist fees.
2. Prices for Frequently Scheduled Services (Shoppable Services)
All hospitals and health systems are required to post a list of 300 frequently scheduled services, known as Shoppable Services, along with the corresponding prices for each.
- View Prices for Frequently Scheduled Services:
Each of these services includes the prices set by the HSCRC and a discount price for those who meet the requirements for an early-pay discount of 2 percent, which is offered to self-pay patients and is established and regulated by the State of Maryland.
The list of shoppable services includes charges for multiple chargemaster services, and therefore may not be comparable to any single chargemaster item.
As with the list of standard hospital charges discussed above, the prices on the primary care commonly scheduled procedures list represent the standard amount for each service prior to insurance discounts or self-pay discounts being applied. What a patient actually pays will depend on their unique benefit plan terms.
Charges for COVID-19 Testing
Visit Charges for COVID-19 Testing to view prices for COVID-19 testing, and insurance and billing information.