Childbirth and Delivery
Call for appointment:240-677-3000 240-677-3000
UM Capital offers a range of delivery options to meet any birth plan, from minimal-touch water births to moderate-touch traditional labor and delivery to high intervention emergency cesarean sections.
With our dedicated Special Care Nursery, UM Capital is proud to be able to care for the most vulnerable premature and sick newborns with expert care and compassion.
Over 1200 babies are born at UM Capital Region Health every year, and we treat each delivery like the incredibly special event that it is. Our team of highly skilled and compassionate certified nurse midwives, labor and delivery nurses, obstetric hospitalists, neonatologists and maternal-fetal medicine specialists are trained to handle any birth situation, no matter how straight forward or complicated.
Our dedicated Women's and Infants floor at UM Capital Region Medical Center is designed to create a safe and serene space for our mothers and their babies.
Special-area features include:
- Private state-of-the-art labor and delivery rooms
- A dedicated water birthing room
- Two dedicated obstetric operating rooms
- A 16-bed Special Care Nursery with private rooms for our vulnerable babies and their families
- Private postpartum rooms with large showers
- A dedicated baby alcove so you can bond with your baby
- A pull out couch for your birthing partner to stay with you
- Lactation support by certified lactation consultants for moms who want to breastfeed
- Two healing gardens
Whatever your desired birth plan, UM Capital is here to help you deliver a healthy baby.
Recognized for Excellence in Obstetric Care
At University of Maryland Capital Region Health, our specialist team of medical professionals – neonatologists, maternal fetal medicine specialists, certified nurse midwives, obstetricians – demonstrate their commitment to delivering healthy babies every single day.
- Staffed by University of Maryland Medical Department Neonatologists
- Recipient of Healthgrades 2018 and 2019 Excellence Award for Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Recipient of Healthgrades 2018 Excellence Award for Labor and Delivery
- Recipient of Healthgrades Top-ranked Five Star Rating for Vaginal Delivery
- This means our performance is statistically significantly better than expected
- We have received this rating 4 years in a row!