Best Ways to Combat Spring Allergies
Call for appointment:301-618-2273 301-618-2273
While the warmer temperatures of spring are a welcome change, seasonal pollen can cause you misery. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America recommends these steps to stop the sneezing and wheezing:
- Start medications before allergy season gets underway. Allergists suggest starting treatment two weeks before symptoms usually begin, which allows the medicine to prevent your body from releasing the chemicals that trigger symptoms.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water. Bathe and wash your hair every day to remove pollen.
- Close the windows of your home and car and use the air conditioning during pollen season.
- Wash pillows and sheets in hot, soapy water once a week
- Change and wash your clothes after outdoor activities. Be sure to dry your clothes in a clothes dryer, not on an outdoor clothesline.
- Keep pets out of the bedroom. They can bring pollen inside on their fur. Wear sunglasses and a wide-brimmed hat to prevent pollen from getting into your eyes.
- Change filters for heating and air conditioning systems regularly, and consider a HEPA filter in frequently used rooms.
- Limit outdoor activity when pollen counts are high. This reduces the amount of pollen you breathe in and lessens symptoms.