Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
Call for appointment:301-618-2000 301-618-2000
The Physical Rehabilitation Centers (Physical Rehab Center) at University of Maryland Prince George's Hospital Center offer therapy 7 days a week and 24-hour medical care and have been regarded as outstanding acute inpatient rehabilitation programs.
The Physical Rehab Center at UM Prince George's Hospital is accredited by both the Commission on the Accreditation of Rehabilitation Facilities and the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations and is also licensed by the state of Maryland.
For more information, please call:
- Outpatient Rehab at UM Prince George's Hospital Center 301-618-3185
- Acute Rehab at UM Prince George's Hospital Center 301-618-3469
Populations We Serve
Our Physical Rehab Centers help adults improve their ability to function after a new illness or significant change in life activities. We serve adults with a wide range of disorders or injuries such as:
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Guillain Barre Syndrome
- Head Injury
- Joint Replacement
- Fractures and multiple trauma
- Multiple Medical Problems
Our Physical Rehab Centers have specially trained admission coordinators who will work with you and the referring facility to determine if our program can meet your needs. We will make efforts to meet with you and tell you about our Center and the specialized services we provide.
The Team Approach
The Physical Rehab Center has a dedicated health care team that works with you, your family and friends to develop and implement your plan of care. The team is led by a medical doctor or psychiatrist who specializes in rehabilitation. The team includes you, and your family and friends, nurses, therapists, case managers and others who can help you.
We work with you on improving your skill, adapting to changes in your life and on discharging you to a safe setting. We will use a range of strategies, techniques and equipment to help you reach your goals. The team approach is about giving you the best care possible by working together on common goals for your recovery.
The team consists of:
- Psychiatrist or physicians who specialize in rehabilitative medicine and focus on treating the whole person
- Rehabilitative nurses that use restorative principles to help you manage your medical problems and reach your therapy goals
- Physical therapists who are licensed professionals who will fully evaluate your physical abilities by using a range of approaches, techniques and tools
- Occupational therapists who are licensed professionals who emphasize purposeful activity to help you improve and work towards more independence
- Our speech and language pathologists are licensed professionals who are trained to help you address problems in thinking, speaking, listening, vocalizing and/or swallowing
- A social worker and/or a nurse case manager will assist you with your discharge plans which may include setting up specialized equipment, more therapy sessions, and/or further counseling
- The Physical Rehab Center will provide you with qualified counseling services if you need help coping with life changes brought on by your disease, illness or injury
Therapeutic Groups and Special Services
The Physical Rehab Center uses a multitude of approaches to help patients integrate the principles of therapy into functional activities. You may participate in a variety of therapeutic group activities including cooking, leisure, cognitive and educational group.
At the Physical Rehab Center at UM Prince George's Hospital patients may participate in various support groups, programs, and services to further promote health and wellness.
- Rehab Sharing Group encourages community involvement from former patients and family members.
- The Parkinson's Support Group is a hospital wide program that offers community members and patients the chance to meet others with similar health issues.
- Our stroke program is committed to helping patients address physical, emotional and social concerns related to a stroke
- Following a joint replacement surgery you will need a group of qualified professionals to help you regain mobility and strength in a safe and timely manner. You will participate in daily therapy sessions designed to help maintain healing and gain strength.
- On-site dialysis is available to those patients who require it while participating in our rehabilitative program.
- Our mobility garden is a wonderful place at your disposal that you can use to relax and enjoy the outdoors. As part of your therapy plan, we can bring you into our garden to challenge your walking ability or mobility on various community surfaces.
Our outpatient physical medicine departments are conveniently located within our hospitals. We offer physical, occupational and speech-language pathology services Monday through Friday. Our departments are committed to providing you with exceptional therapy services that are individualized to your special needs.
Outpatient physical medicine treats the following diagnoses and dysfunctions:
- Total Joint Replacements Pre-Op & Post-Op
- Spinal stenosis
- Degenerative Joint Disease and
- Muscle strains
- Motor vehicle accidents
- Work and sports related injuries
- Low back pain
- Dysphagia or Swallowing Difficulties
Outpatient physical medicine treatments include but are not limited to education/instruction on proper body mechanics and patient self-monitoring, therapeutic exercises, ultrasound, and electrical stimulation. Manual therapies include joint mobilization, hand & wrist splints, and prosthetic training.
Referrals to Our Physical Rehab Centers
Call our Acute Rehab Center at UM Prince George's Hospital Center at 301-618-3185 or our Outpatient Center at 301-618-3185 and we will be happy to assist you with your referral. If you are a case manager and/or from a hospital facility you may fax referrals to 301-618-2998.