Every Second Counts in Our Primary Stroke Center
As a Primary Stroke Center, UM Capital Region Health has been recognized for our ability to provide specialized care that can stop a stroke in its tracks. That's why when every second counts, you can count on us
When you arrive at our emergency room with stroke symptoms, our specialized stroke team diagnose your condition and deliver lifesaving treatment.
We offer comprehensive care for strokes, from initial diagnosis to rehabilitation and recovery.
Our stroke care expertise has earned certifications and recognition that shows we meet high patient care standards. For example, the University of Maryland Capital Region Health:
- Is certified and designated as a Primary Stroke Center by The Joint Commission and by the Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services Systems.
- Received American Heart Association/American Stroke Association's Get With The Guidelines® Stroke Gold Plus Achievement Award.
If you think you or a loved one is having a stroke, call 9-1-1 immediately.
What is a Stroke?
A stroke occurs when the blood vessels that carry oxygen and nutrients to the brain is either blocked by a clot (ischemic stroke) or bursts (hemorrhagic stroke). Without oxygen, the brain cells begin to die immediately.
- Signs of a stroke
- Steps for Stroke Prevention
- Ischemic Stroke Treatment
- Hemorrhagic Stroke Treatment