Volunteers play an important role in every hospital. From escorting patients to sitting with a patient on their final days, there is an around-the-clock need to volunteer every day of the week. Our volunteers make an impact on our patients and are important members of the healthcare team.
Sign up today to feel the personal satisfaction of helping others while giving back to the people of the region.
For more information, please call our offices at:
- University of Maryland Prince George's Hospital Center - 301-618-3795
- University of Maryland Laurel Medical Center - 240-456-4764
You must be at least 16 years old to volunteer at Prince George's County Hospital and 15 years old at UM Laurel Medical Center. Some areas of the Hospital do require that a volunteer be at least 18 years of age. Teenagers from 16-18 years of age who are interested in the medical field or who want to perform community service are encouraged to apply.
- Prince George's County Hospital: At least four hours a week for a period of six months.
- UM Laurel Medical Center:
- Adults: Minimum of 40 hours over a four-month period
- College Students: Minimum of 100 hours over the course of a year
- VolunTEENs: Minimum of 40 hours during the summer
- Volunteers are expected to meet their commitments to their scheduled work hours
- All prospective volunteers must complete a volunteer application.
- Applicants are considered based on the assessed needs of hospital departments, skills and interests of the volunteer, and an applicant's ability to demonstrate personal commitment to the volunteer program.
- A background check will be done on all volunteers.
- Once all requirements have been met volunteers will be required to attend a scheduled orientation session.
- Based on the interview and completeness of all required forms and classes, etc., volunteers are given assignments and are provided with a uniform and an identification badge. At that time, further training with veteran volunteers and/or staff members is arranged.
Prince George's Hospital Center Guild
The Prince George's Hospital Center Guild was formed six months before the hospital opened in 1944 and has been active in fund raising and volunteer efforts ever since. Through the years, the Guild has conducted shoe, art, jewelry, book and flower sales. In their more than 60 years, Guild members have raised more than $2.6 million for the Hospital. Guild volunteers also work at the patient information desk, and staff the patient shopping cart and library, among other activities.
We would like to invite you to become a part of the Prince George's Hospital Center volunteer team. We are a close-knit team in which lasting friendships are built. Come enjoy the benefits of serving others.
We at Prince George's Hospital Center have long recognized and affirmed our Guild member volunteers as an essential part of our success. We are grateful to our Guild member volunteers for the talents and experience they bring to our patients and their families.
To join the Guild or for more information, please contact the Prince George's Hospital Center Guild at 301-618-3858.