Preparing for a Forensic Examination
Do not take a shower or wash yourself.
- This can remove potential forensic evidence.
- If you have already done so – it is OK – there may still be evidence to collect.
- We complete an examination to care for injuries, not just for collecting DNA evidence.
Clothing may need to be collected.
- Clothing you wore during or after assault may need to be collected.
- Bring a change of clothing to wear after the exam – if you are able.
- If you already changed into different clothes:
- Don’t wash the clothes you wore during or after the assault.
- Place in paper bags (plastic may destroy the evidence).
- Bring these clothes with you to the hospital.