About UM BWMC
President and CEO: Karen Olscamp
Address: 301 Hospital Drive, Glen Burnie, Maryland 21061
University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center: One of the best hospitals in a region famous for hospitals.
On paper, UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center looks like many of the other suburban hospitals you'll find across America. We have 288 beds (in FY18). We're home to 2,200 employees and 700 physicians. We are a member of the prestigious University of Maryland Medical System.
But those are mere statistics. And they don't begin to capture what makes UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center so special. From the very beginning we have made it our goal to treat people to the very best of our ability. And we do so with the utmost respect, enthusiasm and compassion.
Some highlights of our 50 years of providing the highest quality health care to the communities we serve:
- UM BWMC opened on July 4, 1965 and has continuously grown to become one of the largest and best-equipped medical centers in the state.
- We performed Anne Arundel County's first joint replacement surgery in 1975. And continue to be an innovator in joint replacement surgery.
- UM BWMC’s Emergency Department is one of the busiest in Maryland, serving over 104,000 patients a year.
- We were the first hospital in Maryland to offer the Calypso® 4D Localizing System that uses satellite GPS to zap cancer tumors without damaging the healthy tissue surrounding them.
- In 2008, we completed a $117 million expansion project that enlarged and renovated our emergency department.
- In January 2009, we added a seven-story patient tower with 111 additional private rooms, and new offices offering outpatient services including the Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine Center, Outpatient Infusion Center and Sleep Center.
- In April 2009, UM BWMC opened BWMC Health Services at Arundel Mills, a multi-specialty office building that brings physicians, specialists and support care to western Anne Arundel County.
- In October 2009, we opened the Robin E. Pascal Women’s Center, bringing obstetric care back to the campus after 41 years.
- In September 2011, we completed an 18-month, $31 million surgical suite expansion increasing the number of our operating rooms and expanding our ability to perform more complex surgical cases in neurosurgery, vascular, orthopaedics and robotics.
UM BWMC is open 24/7/365 to care for our community, and our health care services are wide ranging to meet the needs of you and your family.
Our physicians and nursing staff specialize in emergency, acute, medical-surgical and critical care, as well as pediatrics, geriatrics, psychiatry, cardiology, oncology, rehabilitation and more.
In addition, our medical center is home to many Centers of Excellence, offering expert outpatient health care. These centers include the Aiello Breast Center, Pascal Women's Center, Center for Advanced Fetal Care, Tate Cancer Center, The Vascular Center, Joint Replacement Center, Spine and Neuroscience Center, Wound Healing and Hyperbaric Medicine Center, UM Center for Diabetes and Endocrinology, Surgery Center and Cardiology.
Our long history of treating patients has brought the medical center many awards, including most recently:
- The 2015 Get With the Guidelines Platinum Performance Achievement Award from the American College of Cardiology Foundation’s NCDR ACTION Registry, for our commitment and success in treating heart attack patients.
- The 2015 Patient Safety Excellence Award from Healthgrades, for our scores related to patient safety measures.
- In March 2015, the Tate Cancer Center received a three-year accreditation by the Commission on Cancer and the American College of Surgeons as an Academic Comprehensive Cancer Program. Only 13% of all cancer programs in the nation have achieved this status.
- The 2015 and 2013 Get With The Guidelines Silver Performance Award from the American Heart Association (AHA) and American Stroke Association (ASA), for reaching aggressive goals in treating stroke patients.
- The 2014 Delmarva Foundation Excellence Award for Quality Improvement, for our success in patient safety and quality improvement.
- The 2014 Mission: Lifeline® Gold Plus Receiving Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association, for implementing specific quality improvement measures in the treatment of patients who suffer severe heart attacks.
UM BWMC is committed to helping our community live healthy lives. This means taking excellent care of you while you’re in the hospital, and then helping you maintain optimal health when you’re home. We are proud of our many partnerships that allow us to offer a robust community outreach program, including educational seminars, health screenings, exercise classes, support groups, wellness fairs and more.
Thank you for choosing University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center – the right choice, right here.